Aggressive Rooster - Silkie Breed.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ladyeccowolf, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ladyeccowolf

ladyeccowolf Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    This is Zorro my Silkie rooster. He's such a handsome boy. I've raised him since he was one day old. He has always been sweet and gentle to our family and to his five hens. He is protective of them and has just been a joy to have around. He and my five hens are two years old and we recently let them hatch out their eggs. He has stayed with the girls and has watched over them while they incubated and raised their chicks. The chicks are two months old now and since the chicks have been roaming around more on our farm, Zorro has gotten aggressive. He pecks our shoes and pulls at our pant legs with his beak. He also jumps in the air and claws at us with his feet. We love him dearly but recently he bit our son's face and left a three inch scar on him. Then he attacked our Jumbo Peking ducks, leaving one of them bloodied on the back of her neck and back. When I went to get my son off the school bus one afternoon, Zorro charged at me down the driveway and attacked me. I assume he is just being very territorial and with all the chicks he had, he may be feeling overwhelmed. I am at a loss as to what to do. He is a good father to his chicks and a good leader for the hens, but I don't like it that he's turned on us. I don't want the others to start turning on us either. So far though, it is just him with the attitude problem. Is this normal? Is there anything we could do to teach him that we are not a threat? Will he ever go back to being my sweet little guy again?

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Quite often the rooster sees us as competition for the hens. Your response to his aggression will prompt his actions. For instance flapping your arms and chasing him what do you think he sees. A huge chicken when I had the same problem I went after him with a small branch. That was good for about a month before he challenged me again so I had to repeat the lesson. That was a year ago no problem since. Another approach is a squirt bottle or water pistol. None of these will make him the old friend you had but will deter the aggression. Good luck.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your rooster spurred your son in the face and he's still alive? I guess I got nothin' here. Cull him. I understand you like him, but animals do not attack people, especially children. That's a shotgun offense, here.

4. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    I too am having issues with a formerly sweet silkie roo. He's attacked my kids one time too many so I'm faced with the dilemma of how to cull him. Should I bring him to the animal shelter, or dispatch him myself? Being a silkie, I don't consider him to be meat worthy, so I don't really know the best way to slaughter a chicken in my suburban backyard...any advice?

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Please don't take him to a shelter. He will probably be adopted by an unsuspecting family, cause silkies are so cute, and then the problem will just be moved on. Check out the meat bird section, there are links to great videos on slaughtering a chicken.

If you have any Asian population in your area, you might see about selling him for meat. My understanding is that population likes the black skinned birds.

6. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    You're right, I don't want to take him to a shelter, because this is my problem and I feel like I have to deal with it. I've got to find a way to cull that is bloodless though, because I have no place to dispose of a bucket of blood in my backyard! Sigh, figures he turned out to be a dang roo!

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blood can be drained down the sink or flushed down the toilet. Or, I believe it can just be dumped on a plant/bush/tree for fertilizer.

8. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Took my George out for the same reason. He attacked my daughter, scratching her face & breaking her glasses. If she hadnt have had her glasses on, hed have gotten her eye....He was gone that same night.
    Just like physical traits, aggression can be passed down to his chicks. You dont want that kind of thing in future birds.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I agree at times the only solution is freezer camp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by