1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive Rooster to two of my hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JoMamaChicken, Nov 25, 2013.

1. JoMamaChicken

JoMamaChicken New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    I have a Rooster and he has been mating with one out of the three hens I have. With the other two he is very aggressive that one of the hens ends up hiding in the coop all day. He plucks her feathers and the front of her face. The two hens he has been aggressive to aren't laying any eggs. :(

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Welcome to BYC from Vancouver Island!

You may want to either add a few more hens to balance out the ratio (usually 8-10 hens per rooster) or find a gentler rooster. There are always many roosters being re-homed so don't keep a mean one!

For now I would separate him from the girls and give them a break.

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Doesn't sound as if he has the makings of a flock leader. He is stressing the hens out. That may be why they are not laying. I would put him in the freezer. You may want to remove him from the flock until the hens start laying and then check on his behavior.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on sourland's advice, there is no reason to keep a rooster like that.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X3 what sourland said. Separate or remove the roo. There are too many nice roosters out there to keep one that is being a problem. Are you sure the other three chickens you have are hens?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Aggressive roosters end up in "freezer camp," or the soup pot. There are too many worthwhile roosters begging for homes to keep a bad one. In the Buy,sell,trade forum you will find many ads offering low priced beautiful roosters- many people are not zoned to permit roosters. It's a buyers market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by