Aggressive Rooster who NEVER stops crowing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by askjcm2005, Jan 6, 2011.

1. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Hello: I have a gorgeous Polish Rooster that I got at a few days old and he is 1 of the 2 roosters, the other is a silkie. He has been breeding with our 15 hens for a few months now and about a month ago he started attacking us. Whenever we walk outside near the cage he drags his feet on the ground like a bull about to charge and he will charge the fence usually he will run from us if we go in the pen but as soon as were not looking he runs at us and basically jumps in the air and kicks/scrathes us....He will also never stop crowing, i read this is him alerting his flock but all the hens love us, its just him!! Even at 2 or 3 in the morning if we go outside and he hears us he crows, literally all day and night, my neighbors must love it!!! He will even get up on top his house so that he is able to see down to our front door and the second he see's us he will crow forever.

This past weekend we separated him from the hens so he is only with 1 other rooster in a 6x6 chainlink pen with a house and he gets on top of his house and now jumps at me and will go crazy flying and jumping around like a maniac, kicking my butt while he is at it!!! I am starting to hate him more and more but I dont want to, he is gorgeous and I want to keep him...

Any advise?

[​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I dont know...Valium (for him!)?

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Rooster and dumplings

4. eggbudd

eggbudd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    I have the same problem with my rooster. Today he attacked my head and cut me behind my ear. He was great for the longest time it has onl been the last couple of weeks that he has gotten aggressive. He has attacked my daughter a few times too. Today was the last straw though. This weekend he is gonna be chicken noodle soup. I posted about my roost today too.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    He is handsome. I like him! Just keep him and love him. [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why in the world folks put up with obnoxious roos is a mystery to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fred's Hens :

Why in the world folks put up with obnoxious roos is a mystery to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

x2​

8. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Yeah I saw your post! Just like mine. I read that post saying to get a good pair of boots and kick him. We dont really kick him but I will "scoot him" across the pen and back hand him across the pen when he comes flying at my face to kick me but it seems that will only make it worse in the long run LOL I heard but dont know if its true that roosters arent good meat, too tough or something I dont know but I find it hard to eat chicken now even from the grocery stores since I love my hens so much so I dont think I could eat him or give him to someone who will. [​IMG] Guess I am stuck with him or maybe I can find him a good home with lots more property then we have...Too bad the coyotes didnt get him instead of my most favorite chicken in the world when they all got out one day!!! [​IMG]

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Use a recipe for slow cook meal and he will taste divine.
    Barnyard / Backyard birds taste 100% better then store bought. I have a Summer 2010 issue of Chickens from Hobby Farm with arcticle starting on page 56 on how to cook older birds. They even provide recipes.
    Any recipe that involves a crock pot would probably do the trick as well.

The way your bad rooster is behaving I doubt he will straighten up for you. There are a lot of beautiful nice roosters out there needing homes that can replace him. It is silly to keep a bad tempered bird just because he looks pretty. I personnally would not breed a bad tempered bird and risk that popping up in the gene pool.

The way you described how he is crowing sounds like he is letting you know he is dominent over you. Most roosters crow every day in the morning and some in the evening or when they feel the need to show off.

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Ok here is a teaser recipe from Hobby Farm's magazine that sounds yummy. If he gives you trouble just think of it.
    The author used a 3 1/2 lb Araucana for this meal.

Chicken Cacciatore

Preparation time: about 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 4 hrs (includes marinating time)
    Serving size: 8 to 10 servings (freezes well, too)

Ingrediants
    3 to 3 1/2 lb chicken, disjointed
    1 lb bulk Italian sausage (mild or hot)
    1/2 lb chanterelle (or other) mushrooms (sliced or whole)
    2 medium to large onions (sliced or diced)
    1 sweet red pepper (sliced or diced)
    1 large carrot (coarsely grated or thinly sliced)
    1/8 cup olive oil
    3 lbs tomatoes (fresh, frozen, or canned)
    12 ounces tomatoe paste
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried basil

Marinade Ingredients
    2 cups red wine (your choice, to flavor)
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
    8 cloves fresh garlic

Preparation
    Disjoint the chicken into pieces: 2 legs, 2 thighs, and 2 wings. Leave the breast section whole. (Remove the back and ribs, and freeze them for making soup stock for future meals.)
    Marinate the chicken for 1 hour.
    While the chicken marinates, cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. When cooked, drain off excess fat.
    Drain the marinated chicken in a colander for 15 minutes.
    Reserve the marinade to add to the sauce.
    Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot and brown the chicken 5 minutes on each side on medium heat.
    Move the chicken to one side, making room for the onions.
    Add the onions, reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
    Add the sausage.
    Pour the reserved marinade over the chicken, sausage, and onions in the pot, and then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to blend all the ingredients together.
    Simmer 3 to 3 1/2 hours on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or scorching. Check level of sauce periodically as it cooks, and add additional liquid (water or wine) when needed to maintain sauce volume, so the chicken pieces remain at least 2/3 covered.
    When chicken is tender, remove breast meat from the bone.
    Cut the breast meat into 4 to 6 pieces and return it to the sauce.
    Serve over pasta with garlic bread and a green salad.

Boy this made me hungry just typing it. Well if you have a favorite slow cook meal that calls for chicken keep it handy as that roo will make one nice dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by