Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1ADAM12, Sep 8, 2016.

1. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    So a few weeks ago we adopted an adult silky rooster. A friend had three roosters and the other two she had would not let this handsome guy near the girls.

So now he has 8 girlfriends and gets very aggressive towards me when I approach. He is fine with my wife and daughter. My friend told me he would make a very good indoor pet if birds did not poop all over lol. Well let's just say I am seeing the opposite.

So is there anything I can do to change his behavior or am I stuck with him lol. My daughter and u really wanted to hatch eggs in the spring.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    First option I suggest is swap him out for another.

Second confine him in some way except when he needs to be servicing hens.

Third would be to let him flog away at you until he is exhausted. You must not retreat not be aggressive back. Where proper clothing and be prepared to repeat procedure several times. Do not do anything he interprets as a threat to his reproductive status.

3. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    I feel bad but today I stuck my foot out as he came at me. He landed on top I gave my foot a flick and he landed on his back side. It just made him more upset hahaha.

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

If he is ok with just your wife and daughter than maybe he sees you as a threat? Im not too sure. I cant really help you too much as my silkies have never misbehaved for me. Do you know his background? He could of had a mishap and now does not trust male humans. I've seen similar things happen to people.

I don't think its a thing that runs in his blood, because he is fine with other family members. So it is still possible to hatch offspring with him.

As long as hes not bothering you too much with his behaviour I think you should be fine. Hes only a small little thing :D

Good luck!

-Mustang

EDIT: Just to add you don't need to follow what I have said, But here at my place I keep every rooster. Aggressive or not..i find a way around it because I believe that every rooster deserves a chance..So I don't give them away just because they are naughty. To me that's like giving away your child because he has been a naughty boy. So what I stated up above is what I would do.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    He would be gone at my house!! He wouldn't reproduce either. Find a nice cockerel or cock who doesn't challenge ANY human. Mary

6. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    What breed is usually good to go with?

Mustang the person I got him from had a previous owner. Beyond that I am
    Not sure how to S upbringing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, is that the Silkie roo your talking about? Hes gorgeous! If I lived in the same state I would probably take him if you wanted to get rid of him.

Hmm, What 'types' are you after? Small breed roos? Large breed Roos? Family safe roos?

-Mustang

8. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    Yup that's him. Name is Casper. I had to talk my wife into a rooster too now this happened lol. At least he is only after me. I can handle it. If he goes after my 12 year old he will Goto another home. We are only interested in standard size chickens /roosters. We tried the Bantam breed and they were too broody.

9. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I wouldn't tolerate it either. Too many nice one out there to make me want to put up with that. And, as already stated, you don't want him to pass those genes on to his offspring. As with rabbits, it tends to run in families.

10. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    Really aggressive behavior is passed on? Even to hens? If we hatch I plan on giving Roos away for free lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by