Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ajnaborowsky, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Ajnaborowsky

Ajnaborowsky In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2018
    Maine
    A question for my chicken parent friends... We recently adopted a young rooster into our very well mannered flock of 5 production red hens that don’t seem to have a specific pecking order. This was purely for another line of protection for our hens. We do have one hen that is a little more special than the rest (doesn’t fly and is often a little off balance/ can’t run very quickly). The rooster was integrating well with the hens until late last night when he started courting them (pecking the backs of their necks in attempts to mate). I knew to expect this, but when I went to open the coop this morning to let them out into the run, I found that my special hen (Ellie) had blood on her face. This morning, I noticed that he is way more aggressive toward her and she is very anxious to the point of constantly hiding in the corner of the run when he is out. I understand that roosters are meant to dominate the flock and show the girls who is boss, but this is a bit overkill to the point where my special hen can’t even relax in her own home because she is fearful of him. Does anyone have any insight on how to break his awful habit of attacking my little Ellie?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Separate him out again for another week or two and than try again. I personally keep them penned separately until I actively see them sweet talking through the fence. I don't like roosters that dominate. I prefer ones that take care of all hens. He may not be ready yet, or feel comfortable enough.

3. Ajnaborowsky

Aug 15, 2018
    Maine
    Thank you.. thats very helpful. I’ll put him back out in the dog crate I had him in before.... when you say “sweet talking” what do you mean by that exactly?

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Do you want babies? Sounds like he’s causing more harm than good.

Geena and snow5164 like this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually a rooster will make a chit chit noise when given food which is a signal to the hens to come and get what he has found. He should attempt to feed the hens. Roosters will often make low gentle cooing sounds to hens too. When hens like their rooster they will gently groom their face and will sit around the rooster.

I've had all types of roosters, some much better than others. I always expect my roosters to add something to the flock and not cause problems. I remove troublemakers, some temporarily in the case of younger males and some permanently in the case of those younger males not growing out of brutish behaviors.

I once had the best rooster ever. His hens adored him and he adored his hens. He is the benchmark for me choosing who to keep and who not to keep. I have high standards for my boys, and won't put up with aggression towards the hens. My boys do correct hens and round them up by chasing, but they never draw blood, or are overly forceful.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    aart, Soon2BChixMom, Geena and 3 others like this.
  6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :thumbsup :goodpost:

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  7. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Crowing

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    :yesss:
    :goodpost:

8. Ajnaborowsky

Aug 15, 2018
    Maine
    Not totally interested in babies. I just wanted another form of protection for my girls as we have many predators. The coop is like a fortress but they are my first set of hens and they are like babies to me so a rooster seemed like an added bonus for safety.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some will be good protectors, and others aren't. So hopefully your boy will step up. I need mine to be good look outs for my free range flock.

10. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    I would just let them sort things out their own chicken kinda way, unless it gets too outta hand, I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump n' grind, errrrr..... I mean a little pecking here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: