Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by john14six, Nov 15, 2010.

1. john14six

john14six Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    What do I do with a very aggressive rooster? He a golden comet. He's a spring chicken.

Attacks the kids and I think even my husband.

Do we get rid of him or is there a way to curb his behavior?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:There are very few ways to tame a rooster if he has been in this behavior pattern for a long time. I would get rid of him either find someone to take him or make a good chicken dinner one night.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feel like there are way too many good, non-aggressive roos out there to put up with a bad one so that kind of behavior is a one way ticket out of here. It's not a trait I want passed on in my breeding flocks.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I agree. If you want a rooster, I would try a new one. It takes time to teach a rooster who's boss, and sometimes it still doesn't work.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    If he was at our house and attacked our daughter, he wouldn't have lived long enough to attack my husband.

Give him away to a new home ... the crockpot

6. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks- first chicken to get rid of is the hardest. Learning experience for the kids.

The kids say he doesn't attack everyone. Only a few times he's done this. We were just in the coop with him and he was fine.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Mean Rooster and dumplings is delicious!

8. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    Quote:LOL

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I stopped letting my DGD go in the pens and coop when the roosters showed signs of breeding. I only let mine out into the garden to free range and only when I am outside. They are supposed to be protective of their hens and mine both seem to be. Two runs, Two coops. But I can go in and do what needs to be done....so far....without any aggression from either rooster. I am not scared of them but I am also aware of where they are. I carry a piece of tin in with me when I go in the run.....I want to be able to push them away if needed. So far I have only had to use it to keep the hens back. Tennis shoes, it seems, have worms on them.....they attack my shoe strings. I have been swarmed several times by the hens wanting those worms. Now I have rubber boots ordered to wear to the pens.

I am just saying that my roosters are both in controlled environments. After having too many roosters and having to do something about the numbers after they got aggressive, I have kept the roos that are not aggressive. But I am not allowing them to be in a position to get that way.

I will not let my DGD's around the roosters. I would be setting them up I believe.

And it is hard to do the first one......after that it is easier.

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Ok I kniw he attacked yiur husband but gotta ask, how tall are the kids? I know I wouldn't let my younger buy in with our roosters while he was smaller. The roosters will attack smaller children because they feel they.can be dominant to them. Attacking an adult on the other hand, rehome him to the crockpot. He would help all out that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by