Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmullet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cmullet

cmullet New Egg

Nov 11, 2008
    We had a med size rooster that had feathers that stuck out all over the top of his head like he stuck his claw in a electrical socket, he was beautiful with reds, greens, glods, browns and blacks. He got super aggressive and started attacking us at any chance he could (sent 2 of us to the emergency room with serious injuries) we had to get rid of him and now have 3 adult females and 5 babies with no rooster. I am a little scared aobut getting another one for fear of him, but would like the proetection for my girls so they can free range and would like babies!!
    Any suggestions on which breed rooster is better? we like to handle them and love them and i am not sure which direction to go now!
    Thanks for any info

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know if there is any particular breed that will give you a good roo, but they are out there. I'm not sure what makes some of them human agressive, but IMO you did right by getting rid of him.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Get a silkie roo. I call them ankle biters! OR
    Most of the time (me-99%) I have used "submission training" on the attackers . If they come towards you, you walk towards them, and make them take steps back-all over the yard. This way you are seen as alpha roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by