aggressive rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tracy795, Aug 16, 2014.

1. tracy795

tracy795 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    Hi there, this is my first year with chickens. I have 3 hens and 1 rooster that I got this past mothers day as chicks. Ive heard that roosters can be very aggressive and even attack you at times. My rooster when I come outside, he'll charge towards me puffed up at times. Is this a sign of aggression or is he just happy to see me?

2. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Mine does the same when he want to attack me. Watch out!

3. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, that's aggressive behavior. Don't let him do that.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's aggression. Pretty much anything an animal does that makes themselves look larger (puffing up) is aggression.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - this is an aggressive behavior and one that needs to be stopped, yesterday.

6. tracy795

tracy795 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    I was told to kick him to show him who's boss, but I dont wanna hurt him, lol

7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

8. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two and when the black one came at me I walked him back quickly and kicked my legs out at him. He doesn't bother me anymore but yesterday my husband was jumped by my black rooster. He doesn't go in the backyard very often. He was carrying a half a watermelon to give them and the black rooster jumped up and scratched his leg.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Roosters that attack humans need to be invited to dinner! There are several long threads here about 'retraining' such birds, but it's an uphill slog, with a poor success rate. Children are definitely at risk of serious injury, and any new person will be attacked. Mary

10. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    just put your hose on jet and aim lol it worked 4 me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by