Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 303hunter, Mar 25, 2015.

1. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have 2 roosters that are both about 6-8 months old. One is a silkie that's very tame, the other is a black bantam that's aggressive towards the silkie, sometimes not letting him eat. Is there anything I can do other than separating them? The bantam is not aggressive towards people, just the other rooster.

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    How many hens do you have? You may not have enough ladies to justify two roosters.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

As a general rule, roosters don't like or want other roosters on their turf. Put out extra feeders spaced as far apart as you can get them. He can not guard all of the feeders at the same time.

Eventually you will probably have to separate them to keep them from killing each other.

4. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I've got 5 hens so far. I got the bantam because he has beautiful blue/green hues in his black feathers, and I liked the way he looked. He was about 4 months old when I got him, and he's just starting to grow visible spurs. Both roosters were young, and got along fine at first.

5. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I understand, thanks! The silkie will definitely stay because my daughter loves him, and plays with him all the time. I may have chicken and rice soon.

6. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    You can have more than one rooster with out them killing each other. Your traditional farm that had chickens had more than one rooster. The key is having enough space, and enough ladies for more than one rooster. As you only have 5 girls 2 roosters is one to many. If you had a flock of 15+ ladies you could justify a second rooster.

7. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    Separated them today. Both runs are only about 4 feet apart, and they stood at the edge of both fences and crowed at each other for a couple hours. I put a Polish hen in with my silkie to keep him company, and they get along very good. The silkie is finally starting to act like a rooster, strutting around being king of his new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by