Aggressive runner ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2dancingrats, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Two drakes. No hens. Their behavior seems quite aggressive lately. Not that they can be scary (too cute for that). They run after me when I walk around. Afraid I'll step on one. They "attack" my shoes and shoe laces biting them and tugging hard.
    If I squat down by them, they bite and tug at my gloves or stick their head up my sleeves, or sometimes they "jump" up my arm. If they are outside of their pen and I go into it, they run it after me attacking my shoes and pant legs. My husband thinks they are being playful, but to me, it seems to be aggression. Also, they LOVE night crawlers, but after I feed them some they act aggressive. Anyone experience this duck behavior? What does it mean? Thanks.

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Maybe they are trying to mate you?

3. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Seriously? Should I let them down gently, or just break it off?

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

They could also just be acting aggressively. Do they have girls of their own? Can't help with managing aggression. My only drake is a very sweet little thing. (So far. I'd like it to stay that way. [​IMG] )

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:[​IMG]

Ducks mate by grabbing the back of the neck of the female with their beaks and then getting on top and "treading." I've read in these forums before that drakes without mates will try to mate each other and or their human friend. I don't know if that is what it is, but it's a possibility.

6. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Yes, actually, lots of treading. I feel so loved! Guess I'll have to get hens this spring. If I get babies, how long will I need to protect them from my drakes?

7. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    THEY LOVE YOU and want to be your lover most definetly!!
    your situation sounds like mine, one of my ducks i hatched, the rest came from a hatchery, the one i hatched saw humans first and imprinted on them. he thinks hes a human, now he's got a girlfriend who he mates with, but he's a very horny duck who chases me when im around, following me everywhere to the point where i need to run so i dont trip or step on his little feet. he grabs onto and holds onto my shoes, laces, sleeves, skin (ouch!) anything! and he ummm gets a little too excited down below i noticed once when i let him continue to do it for a while... because i was wondering what the heck was going on it was so sudden this new behavior, i think since the ducks are younger than him they arent as ready to go at it as much as he wants... im not really sure. but my duck is def. trying to mate with me, and any other human that he seems to take a liking to..haha i think your in the same boat!
    maybe the lack of pool time is making my drake mate-crazed. and your drakes need ladies!! woot woot i kinda love it cause he follows me everywhere holding onto my pants

technically you need to protect them from drakes until they are mature, its bad for a female to mate if shes not of age (they kinda will give themselves up to a male when they are ready), so they can be together once the ducks are a big enough size to defend themselves somewhat, but if the drakes are acting aggressivly and already trying to mate you shouldnt keep them together...

if you dont want ducklings, or to go through keeping them seperate, consider adopting from a pet rescue you can use this search engine:
    www.petfinder.com
    but if you want ducklings i understand they are the best thing ever![​IMG]:love

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thank you. I got my two when they were 2 days old. They always have followed me, but that was all. They are missing out on pool time. We fill an extra large dog bowl each day and let them wade around in it, but its really not the same as the pool. I have a 6 stall horse barn. They and two geese live in one stall and yes, one of the ducks has professed his love for the goose. She's not interested. I suppose I could put my duck babies in a separate stall until they are older. Hope my geese don't get too upset. But then, they have lived with ducks since they were born, so maybe they'll take it in stride.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I think if they want to be bad boys they should at least try to win you over first...some Mint MeltAways or good Hersheys are always good...[​IMG]

10. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    We have a female runner (Ollie) that was acting aggressive and quacking incessantly. She was trying to be at the top of the pecking order and considered me to be a rival. I held her and pushed firmly (but not hard) on her back until she sat down and grabbed the back of her neck (same thing ducks do to each other to assert dominance and determine pecking order). I did that a couple times a day for a couple days and her attitude improved immediately once she figured out I was higher in the pecking order. Now she is very loving towards me. [​IMG]

We also got her to stop squawking loudly all the time by making shushing sounds while squirting her with a water bottle whenever she let out a really loud quack. She never squawks loudly anymore and knows to quiet down if I make a shushing noise (important when your duck is in your living room!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by