Aggressive Silkie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jzervas92, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone, my 7 month old silkie has started to become really aggressive with the other chickens. I would say she's more at the bottom of the pecking order, but the other chickens never really bothered her. Today I went down to the coop just to check up on them and she ran after my sliver gray dorking, grabbed the back of her neck feathers, and tried to pull them out. The sliver gray dorking was able to get her off without any feathers being pulled, but I never saw her do that before. Then later on during the day she went after my americana and was able to pull her feathers out. I grabbed her and seperated her from the other chickens for a while, but then when I let her out she did it again! I really thought she was a hen because she has a small comb, hasn't even tried to crow (also she sounds like a hen), and she doesn't have any streamers on the back of her head. I really don't know what to think.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sure sounds like you have a young rooster. You might want to try posting pictures on one of the big silkie sexing threads or the What Breed or Gender Is This forum, like you said, silkies are awful to sex for sure unless they lay eggs or crow.

3. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    These are the most recent pictures I have I took them in mid October. The bad silkie is the darkest one at the end, unfortunately the light gray one got killed in a raccoon attack :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by