Aggressive White Chinese Goose "Mama"

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tigerluv700, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    About 4 months ago, our wonderful brown chinese goose named "Papa" returned from his 3-month-long stay at the vet clinic after suffering a severely broken leg. I found him on the golf course and rescued him. After enduring two surgeries and weeks of rehab, our beloved Papa returned to our community pond. Several of us thought it would be nice to reward his return with a mate...we purchased a beautiful white chinese goose (female) and named her "Mama."

At first, Mama was very friendly and tame....she seemed to enjoy all of the attention she was being given. As time went on, she gradually has become aggressive. The pond is on a golf course, and she is constantly running up to the green and attacking the golfers that are trying to putt. I have been working with her (we have asked the community to stop feeding her), and attempting to train her to stay away from that area. However; I am not able to be with her 24/7 so strict training is difficult. I go to the pond twice daily and feed them a nutricious pellett/scratch diet in a far away cove on the pond...away from the people.

She has also recently bonded with one of the families that lives on the pond. She shows up on their back porch stoop first thing in the morning and hangs all day long, simply enjoying their company (she doesn't get fed by them). She follows the lady of the house around like a dog! Papa (her mate) is so good, he stays in the water and far away from all of the commotion. I have witnessed them mating.

Tomorrow I am attending a community meeting because Miss Mama is on the agenda. [​IMG] People are complaining about her aggressiveness, and the community is concerned about liability issues.

Can anyone give me any advice if there is any other things I can try to curb her aggressive actions towards the golfers. She is almost a year old. Possibly she's going through a dominant behaviour period, I don't know. But, if I can't get her to "curb her enthusiasml," we will probably have to find her another home....which will break many hearts.

She is a beautiful, loving goose...just has this bad aggressive behaviour.

Help, please!

Thx.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Just a thought, but is there any way you or the other family can temporarily confine her to one spot at all? I think she might have picked up some bad habits because she interacts with so many different people who have no control over her and may be afraid of her, too. I think it's better if one person or one family worked with her for a while to break her of her habits.

The gander sounds like he's just more laid back personality wise and hasn't learned that he can push people around.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Would the golf course be willing to put a short fence around the pond so mama can't charge out and attack? The only way I've been able to 'curb' aggression is by rehoming, the geese that I have rehomed for aggression here have not become aggressive at their new homes. Maybe take her to your place (or somewhere else) for a little while to 'reset' her and then take her back to the pond?

4. tigerluv700

Nov 3, 2010
    Thanks for your input...both of your ideas make sense. Regarding fencing in the pond...I have had this very same thought. I half-joked with my friends that one of the first things I would do if I won the lottery would be to install an "invisible fence" around the pond and put a collar on Mama. She would very soon learn how far she can wander from her habitat! I doubt the community would approve fencing...not just the cost (it is a fairly large pond), but the community has very strict convenents and appearance would be an issue as well. However; that would solve the problem immediately.

If things don't improve, it is possible we could send Mama "away", back to her barnyard to rehabilitate. However; not sure if she would ever be able to return if we replace her with another goose (we are thinking about a "Buff" goose hearing they are very docile).

Speaking of this...would our brown Chinese goose (male) accept a new goose and forget about his wife, Mama?

Thanks again....

Cindy

5. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Wherever she goes, her mate will have to go. A pair forms a pretty tight bond. White chinese are one of the most aggressive breeds of geese, FYI.

6. tigerluv700

Nov 3, 2010
    Yes, I have now learned that now....too bad I didn't know it beforehand....sigh. Our Mama Goose got a "stay of execution" at yesterday's community meeting. However; I'm sure if she isn't able to tame her aggressive ways, eventually changes will need to be made.

You mention that the male would have to go with her. We were thinking about possibly getting him a "Buff Goose" (female) as a replacement. Would he accept her or still be attached to Mama (white Chinese) even though she is no longer in the pond with him? I have read that the "Buff Goose" is extremely docile and would definitely fit in living in an area, which is heavily populated with residents & golfers.

Thanks for your input...

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    yeah, I wa thinking taking her away and perhaps giving him a different mate. or for that matter rehoming both of them and getting another pair if you truly want geese there.

8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Maybe a different breed? One not known to be aggressive? I understand Pilgrims are pretty laid back and non-aggressive.

However if you really want to save your geese, perhaps a "chicken tractor" style goose house and pen is in order, one you can move daily to give them new forage, avoid intense cleaning chores, and keep them away from people.

9. tigerluv700

Nov 3, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion...that would certainly solve the problem with her bothering the people...however; would need home owner assoc approval and then figure out the logistics of where to put it...I love the idea, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by