Aggressiveness in Egg-Laying Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuthoney, Nov 4, 2009.

1. nuthoney

nuthoney New Egg

Aug 23, 2009
    I have 3 chickens--a Barred Rock, RIR, and an Ameraucana (this is also their pecking order, from top to bottom). They are about 24-25 weeks old. The RIR started laying about a week ago. I noticed that shortly before she started laying, she went from being sweet and nonconfrontational to becoming more aggressive; she has stayed aggressive. She pecks at my pant legs as if she were trying to attack me (and not just out of curiosity like the Barred Rock). Is this change in behavior common or is it breed-specific, and should I expect the same from my other birds? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never seen it in any of the RIR that I once owned.

But I did see it in some Barred Rocks that I had. I rehomed the Barred Rocks... the one I have now is just a sweetheart.

They all have different personalities.

3. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I have heard of RIRs having a tendency towards aggressiveness, yes. Hendersen's breed chart also lists them that way. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Do you have a roo? Sounds like to me that she is trying to take upon that role. My RIR's are not aggressive at all in the coop or the run, however you better not disturb them when they are on the nest laying. They are as mean as rattlesnakes. Once they lay and come off of the nest, you can pick them up and play with them.

Marty

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:She thinks you are not doing your duty by her as the boss rooster.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by