AGH!! Breed confusion after 6 months?!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KCNC06, Aug 24, 2010.

1. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    Oh my goodness! I thought by the time this year's chicks were this old I'd be able to figure out what breeds they are, but I'm still confused.

I thought my two big roo's were Rhode Island Reds, but now I'm not so sure...they kind of look a bit more like Welsummer's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this hen...I've been thinking she was a Brown Leghorn, but now...Welsummer hen?? (Sorry! Not the best picture. I've been trying to upload a better picture but keep getting a "wrong file type" message even thought it's not the wrong file type. Ugh!)

[​IMG]

Now for my little Beak and Wings. I've been trying to figure this girl's breed out since I got her. She's a splash something, but what?? Her legs are light gray, they've always been light gray even as a chick. She didn't have yellow feathers either, she had gray and white feathers which I thought was pretty odd because I thought white feathers usually start out as yellow. But Beak and Wings didn't have any yellow. I'm not sure what color the bottom of her feet are, not really yellow or pink...more whiteish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(This is what she looked like back in May)
    [​IMG]

All four chickens are just about 5 months old now. I don't think either of these hens are laying yet, but one of the hens we got as chicks this spring has recently started laying fairly dark brown eggs. Much darker than our Barred Rock and Partridge Rock hen's eggs at least. [​IMG]

Any guesses on the breeds here?
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Very interesting looking roos, they aren't Welsummers though; Welsummers have firey golden hackles and some bay coloring in the flight feathers. I thought Red Leghorns but then they don't have the white ear lobes. I am at a loss.....still cool looking birds though.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Songster

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Beaks and Wings (love the name) is a splash Andulusian.

I beleive your boys are Welsummers - did you get them from a hatchery? Also, the colour could deepen when they mature (althought they are gorgeous now)

Your girl kinds looks like a game, or game cross, only because she is soo small at 6 months. She should have a bigger comb if she were a Welsummer.

4. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:These might not be the best pictures, unfortunately the best I've been able to get lately. It's getting nearly impossible to get a picture of any one chicken without the others running into the scene. I've got a pretty hammy flock. [​IMG] I usually try to chase others off by throwing treats, but that doesn't work. Everyone goes running!

Anyway. The feathers on their neck is...I would say a deep gold, almost like a shade of strawberry blond. I think their feathers are still coming in and changing. Their tail feathers have gotten a longer over the past week or so, starting to look a little more "fancy" than they did before. They're also getting a little white patch at the base of their tail which you can kind of see in the second picture, though it looks more gray in the picture.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures again I see that they really don't do a good job of showing the right colors. I'm starting to wonder if I messed with a setting on my camera to get the colors wrong. I tried taking a picture of some eggs that a new hen laid but the color in the picture isn't as dark as they are in reality. I don't know who's laying these eggs, I didn't think any of the breeds we have would lay eggs this dark. I've been thinking that our new bunch of hens were: an Australorp, 4 red sex-linked, 1 white Leghorn, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Brown Leghorn and 1 "Beak and Wings" (the gray/white unknown breed hen).

The two dark eggs are from one of the new hens, the other tan eggs are from one of the Rock girls.

[​IMG]

5. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    Red&Yellow :

Beaks and Wings (love the name) is a splash Andulusian.

I beleive your boys are Welsummers - did you get them from a hatchery? Also, the colour could deepen when they mature (althought they are gorgeous now)

Your girl kinds looks like a game, or game cross, only because she is soo small at 6 months. She should have a bigger comb if she were a Welsummer.

These are all TSC chicks so I don't know what hatchery they came from. These two roos are quite big, tall anyway. I'd say they're getting close to knee high on me though they don't seem to realize they're so big (very similar to our 1 yr old pit puppy that we still call "so little", he doesn't seem to realize he's 60 lbs now and too big to be a lap dog). We have a little bantam splash Cochin, Shuttlecock, who is by far the head cock of the flock.

The little "blond" pullets isn't really that much smaller than any of the others that we got this spring, she's from a late March hatching so about 4 1/2 months old I guess. I think she's about the same size as Beak and Wings. Beak and Wings got her name because those are her most noticeable features, she never liked being held even as a chick and would flap her beak and wings trying to get away from anyone who tried to pick her up. Or pick up any of the other chicks for that matter, I clearly remember saying "It's not always about you Beak and Wings! Some chicks like to be held!" several times. She didn't believe me, or maybe didn't care. [​IMG]

6. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Your roos are Partrige Rocks.I agree on Splash Andalusian.What comb other hen has?

7. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The "blond" hen has a single comb.

8. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Quote:Most TSC order there chicks from Mt. Healthy.

Missi

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Quote:Most TSC order there chicks from Mt. Healthy.

Missi

Privett here in TN and also in places in NC not sure about the whole state

10. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    They order from Privett out on this end of the state also...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by