AGH! Swollen face?? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Jan 6, 2011.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Monday night I found one of our hens, Onyx, bloody around her face. More specifically, the blood appeared to be coming from the top of her head/comb, and at the bottom of her comb, where her beak meets the comb. After I cleaned her up, I checked her over and she was fine. She continued to be fine until tonight. I should mention that everything, her droppings, eating/drinking habits, etc. are normal. However, the sides of her face, above the waddles, are swollen. It's hard to describe, and even harder to get a picture. She kind of looks chipmunk-y, and that is not normal. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Hmmm, it is a bit hard to see in the pictures.
    It looks like she may be being pecked on-hence the comb injury.
    I really have no idea if the swelling in her cheek area is related to her beat up comb.
    I wish I could be of more help to you, but I'm not sure on a swollen face what it could be.
    She's adorable, by the way. [​IMG]

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Quote:Haha, thank you [​IMG] She seems less swollen-ish today. I had put a little Blu Kote on the top of her head on Monday after I had cleaned her up, and my mom thinks maybe she had an allergic reaction. I hope that she's going to continue getting better. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by