1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Aghhh...I killed it! Graphic embryo pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemurchaser, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm on day 10, so I candled the eggs to see how everything was doing. I started with 24, tossed 2 clear ones on day 7. I found another clear one today, one with a blood ring, and one that didn't look like any of the others (dark, swirled all over the egg when jostled, no veins, and no movement). So I took all 3 outside to open them. The first one with the blood ring had a tiny embryo in it. The second one was the dark one, as soon as I cracked it, I knew I'd been wrong. There was a blood laced membrane. I opened it up, and there was a moving embryo. It was so perfect. I stood there for a minute, wondering if I could put the egg back together. But I realized I couldn't (I had the egg in two halves). So I put it in a bowl and it kept twitching. I finally realized if I broke the blood vessels it would bleed out quickly, so I did that. I took a couple pictures and then buried it in the back yard. I then re-candled the 3rd egg, confirmed it was not alive, and then opened that one. There was nothing inside.

Has anyone else done this? I feel terrible. Also how old do you think the first embryo was when it died?

Clickable thumbnails.

This is the egg with the blood ring.
    [​IMG]

First egg's embryo.
    [​IMG]

This is the one that was alive.
    [​IMG]

Such a perfect little chicken body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

UGH--I leave mien if I am unsure. Better to wait a few days and check again. Sorry!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. I'm not sure but it doesn't look that old. I've done that...the worst was with a Muscovy egg that was at 39 days. I threw it out into the coop & it bounced. So I threw it harder & out came a 90% developed duckling which twitched & then died. I now wait VERY long, candle like a FREAK and wait even longer before tossing anything....don't feel too bad...

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

omg lemurchaser!!!
    are these the ones from the swap????

how sad
    ... very little embryos
    im srrry... hope u get some tho hatch [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I learned that hard lesson too... now I put a question mark on the eggs in question, and leave them until day 17. If I candle them before moving them to the hatcher and I don't see a cram-packed egg, THEN I'll toss them. :aww When in doubt, if it's not weeping or stinky, leave it in.

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:Yes, these are the ones from the swap. That was one of the mixed breed brown eggs from Tsagirl. The others are looking pretty good. I also have 6 blue laced red wyandottes (down from 9), but a few of those are highly questionable. I don't know that I'll have the heart to break any of them open unless I can tell they are rotten.

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    First...I'm so sorry. :-( I know that's hard. I've not done it intentionally before, just cracked it by mistake.

On the other hand, in the interest of science, those pictures are amazing, to see that perfect little chicken body so young. Wow. I've never seen any at that stage before like that. I know that doesn't make you feel better so I'm not sure if I should post this or edit, but I do appreciate that you showed us the development, etc.

8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

When in doubt, if it's not weeping or stinky, leave it in.

I agree completely. The only thing it harms if you leave it (if it's not weeping or stinky) is `bator space.​

9. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:That is actually why I took the pictures. I think it is a valuable thing to see. I was awed by how perfect it was. I'm a vet student, and we just learned embryology, so I was interested in seeing it anyway. Actually even the tiny embryo is pretty interesting too. You can see its heart and legs and a long tail.

10. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    That is really neat and I'm glad you took it in the spirit that I intended it. :aww

I hope you will leave the pictures up for a bit. I'd like to show my older kids later. They've seen them as embryos when we candle, but not the actual real thing during incubation. Isn't it amazing and miraculous how soon they begin looking like a real chicken? Wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by