aging meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by QCFChicks, Jun 22, 2011.

1. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who has processed a bunch of birds in the past. He was telling me that he would age his birds in a big refrigerator for two weeks and all he would do is cut there neck/kill them and hang them in the fridge for two weeks keeping them below 40 degrees. Then would pluck and clean and freeze them after the two weeks. To me this sounds ludacris but I have only processed a few birds and am no pro to say the least. Have any of you heard of this is it true is it a method to use? I'm all for trying new things.........if they make sence but this just sounds a little crazy to me. Any info is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have heard several people talk of doing this. I don't.

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have not heard of doing it that way. last night i read a lot of people get them ready and into the freezer but let them thaw and age in fridge. for a week or 2 before cooking. you don't need to do that with cornish X but is supposed to improve taste and tenderness of dual purpose birds. I have not fixed many of the dual purpose birds yet. You would also need an extra fridge for that methed.

4. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    I could see how that would help with an older bird but I still think I would remove the insides first.

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    x2
    Quote:

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    It seems like that way would increase the chances of salmonella or other nasty stuff setting up. I much rather gut the bird and then age the meat.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I never leave the guts in a bird to age it.. takes way too long for the body to cool down that way.. and the longer it stays "hot" inside.. the more bacteria will grow.
    Basiclly the way we do it is to kill.. pluck (or skin).. eviscerate.. chill in ice water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by