Agnes or Angus?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DJF, Aug 14, 2008.

1. DJF

DJF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hello Folks,

Some family members believe one of my brother's Black Sex-links is a cockeral rather than a pullet.

Even after I explain the coloring consideration regarding sexlinks, they believe this individual is a cockeral due to the enormous comb and wattles. This bird has spur bumps that are slightly bigger than the others in this flock. The flock is just at point of lay.

[​IMG]

I don't see any sickle feathers--Certainly no more than any other birds in this flock. There isn't any behaviors--crowing or strutting or anything else--that indicates that this might be a roo. Other than the comb and wattles, she sort of just blends in with the others.

[​IMG]

I think she is just a pullet with a large comb and wattles. Other family members disagree. You can see the degree to which she is different from her "sisters."

So, here are my questions:
    Is it at all possible for a sexlink roo to be hen/pullet colored? Or, for that matter, can you have a sexlink pullet that is roo colored? If so, is this what they call a 'sport'?

What do you all think? Is she / he an Agnes or an Angus?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Looks like a roo - but how old are they? I have 12 week old black star hens that have nothing close to that comb... but mine are still young and look more like the other one in your pic.
    As far as 'is it possible'? ANYTYHING is possible when it comes to chickens, lol.....

good luck!

3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    That is an Agnes...

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    That is a hen. There are only hen feathers on that bird.

She is probably going to lay earlier than her sisters, because she has the red combs and wattles before the others, but they will catch up.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Agnes

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a Wyandotte that has an extra large comb and wattles. She's the only one I've ever seen out of all my breeds to look like that, so I don't think it's a common thing, but not unusual. It sure makes you look twice, though.

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Here is a recent photo of my two black sex-link pullets. They are 14 weeks old in this photo.

[​IMG]

Mine have had red comb/wattles for a couple weeks now. I think you have a pullet named Agnes!

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That is a pullet, definately Agnes.

9. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

SHE looks just like my hens! Congratulations! It's a girl! [​IMG] LOL

10. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California