Agressive Ancona drake.

Ichthius

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Hello

We have two pairs of 4 month old Anconas that are start to get sexy. The larger blue male has become very agressive toward our black male.

Are there any tricks to restoring harmony or does big blue need to hi the road?

Ichthius - sorry your question got missed, it was a busy weekend for me, probably others too. Yours is not an uncommon problem and gets asked a lot in some form or another.
The happiest trick to eventually find harmony would be to add about four more beautiful girlfriends for your drakes, but you can't absolutely assume that would settle the bigger guy down.
Or you could divide the pairs up in separate pens, or pen up one drake separately and trade them off with the females. I did the last one for a little while but watching one lonely drake hopelessly and frantically trying to rejoin the flock gets old fast.
The easiest thing to do is send the big guy packing.

id get more girls for him that is a nice solution but most of the drakes live in harmony i had 8 hens with 3 drakes and no real fights i think this is an ancona trait i had anconas and most of the drakes fought constantly!!! especially when i moved one of them was unbearable i just finally sold him i couldnt take it all the ducks i had boys and girls couldnt keep feathers b/c of him!!!!

My recomendation is to get 3 more girls, at least. My Anconas have 3 girls per boy and they are very happy. There is still unrest during breeding season, that is mostly just the nature of having more than one male, but they are NOT violent, just...overly stimulated and excited which leads to small squabbles. But with enough female distractions they dont fight long or often, and the ladies get rest and are not over bred.
Keep in mind the black drake might be the subbordinate and as such he might always be picked on by Blue. Pecking order is normal, but Blue should not be allowed to be a bully. Getting a few more ladies to focus on should help.

I hope you can restore some harmony and I hope blue learnes to focus his energy on his ladies and leaves black alone, most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom