1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Agressive Chick, possible Roo? (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyDee, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ChickyDee

ChickyDee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    I have a White Leghorn that I think is about 4 weeks (I'm not sure exactly the age) and who has started to behave agressively towards the other hens. This particular chick has always been a little bolder than the others but last night the drama that unfolded startled me. This chick is named Master Chief (after the Halo 3 hero), and it suddenly started attacking one of my most docile and lovable chicks (Sunshine). When I intervened he went after another chick with chest held high and neck feathers raised and pecked and chest bumped the chick who thankfully fought back a little. I ended up separating Master Chief for the night and since I reintroduced him/her to the crowd things have been back to the normal level of bossiness. I also have two Barred Rocks who are a litlle younger and one seems to be developing a little faster than the other. Perhaps I have two Roo's? They all came from the TSC bin marked 'Assorted Pullets'. What do you all think?

THis is Master Chief, the aggressive White Leghorn
    [​IMG]

This is Sunshine, the most docile and friendly White Leghorn but also the most picked on.
    [​IMG]

This is Cartman, the Barred Rock potential Roo. The tail is a little taller and the Comb a little taller than the other BR Chick
    [​IMG]

This is PeeWee, my other BR who doesn't have much of a comb showing at all. I think the BR's are about 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Isn't it amazing how they start in so young jockeying for there position in the pecking order...

It's true...the weaker ones seemed to get walked all over.

3. ChickyDee

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    Do you think that the two chicks in the pictures could be roosters? I'm just wondering because I'll have to rename them if they aren't [​IMG] ! Can chickens kill one another when establishing a pecking order? Once the feathers and fuzz started flying I didn't know what else to do except remove the offending chick. I was afraid that she/he was going to seriously hurt another chick!

4. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I think Master Chief is a pullet! My dominant EE pullet, Ruby, very aggressive and will chest-bump and quickly put any one in his/her place. Not sure about the others.

5. ChickyDee

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    I guess Master Chief is as good a name for a pullet as for a rooster! It definitely suits her personality since she is so pushy an bossy. She pecked me in the mouth yesterday when I was trying to get a good look at her, Ouch! Is it wrong of me to interfere with such chicken antics like I did or should I have just let nature play it's course?

6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I would have separated them, too. They'll work it out eventually, but I prefer mine not to hash it out in the brooder where there's limited space for the submissive chick to get away from the attacker.

7. ChickyDee

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    I feel better about it all now, thank you very much! You are right about the limited space, I hadn't thought of that. Do you think that these Leghorn chicks look to be about 5 weeks old?

I just hate that my favorite chick is at the bottom of the pecking order! She is so sweet and docile. Sometimes she even sleep by herself while the others are all grouped together. I just worry about her! Maybe I am an overprotective new Chick Mom but I wish the others would include her in their CHicken Games. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    how big is the brooder? is it possible they need more room? i had mine in the bathroom, got moved to the spare bedroom while the run and coop are being made- just a thought for you

9. ChickyDee

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    The brooder has two parts: the initial part was what they were in as little chicks and it was a large dog airline crate. When they got larger I moved them to a space in the unfinished part of the basement that is in effect a 4'x3' cubby. I blocked the entrance to the cubby with the original dog crate so they have the cubby space plus the dog kennel (which they still love). I have a roost in the dog crate about 5 inches off the ground, and another roost that props open the crate door and is about 2 feet in length. However they prefer to roost on the lip of the dog crate at this point. Is that enough space for 6 chicks that are about 5 weeks old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by