1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

agressive chick??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cream puff, Sep 18, 2014.

1. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Hi,

Is it normal for a rooster chick to be aggressive at 2 weeks? I have a chick who is 15 days old and it is male. He has attacked my hand, bit it several times the jumped at it with both feet, just like a grown rooster would!!!!!!!! But it's only 15 days old and not even fully feathered.

Is this normal?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Normal, yes. Bad, absolutely! Add him to your dinner menu later, and keep a polite cockrel instead. Mary

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Is it a sex link or an auto-sexing breed?

I had 1 chick that was more aggressive than the rest, but it only lasted a day or 2 and now she's in the middle of the pecking order and a sweetheart.

If the aggressor isn't doing any harm to the other chicks, I would wait a few more days to be sure it's going to last. If it does last though, I would certainly get rid of it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  4. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    this isn't the first time he's attacked me, he did it a few times earlier on, and I just couldn't believe it because he was so young. I've raised other roosters before that weren't aggressive like this. He has spurs starting to grow on his ankles too. He'll be dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by