1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Agressive Chickens!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by la polla, Aug 12, 2008.

1. la polla

la polla New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Hi!
    I have two older chickens [​IMG] that have been pecking and bullying my four younger chickens [​IMG] for the past three months now. I had them separated and then decieded to put them together, but it seems that the ONE KEEPS ONE BOTHERING THEM. I am not sure what to do now.[​IMG]:D Help someone!!!!!!!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    First of all, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Just wondering, what are the ages of your "older" and "younger" chickens? That information may help us problem-solve with you.

See you around the forums! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. la polla

la polla New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Sorry!
    Your right that info would help.[​IMG]
    Okay..........The two older chicks are 3years old and the four younger ones are 8 months old. I am just at a lost on what to do I had them separated when I first brought them home and I felt that it was time to put them together, but now I am not sure [​IMG].
    thank-you for your response......I hope someone out there can give me some advice.......so i can have happy [​IMG].
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Have they been in the same run for the full 3 months together, or did you just introduce them?

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I haven't had to deal with this, but I would think that they are just establishing a pecking order. As long as the younger ones aren't getting hurt bad I would leave them togther. Just be sure to keep a close watch on them a while. Good Luck.

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Did you put your chickens together suddenly or did you slowly introduce them. Some people believe that if you introduce them slowly the pecking and what not is kept to a minimum. No matter what you do however they will establish a pecking order.

7. larlar23

larlar23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i have a problem with my chickens they keep picking at my easter egg chicken butt. they are all 5months old they have been in the same pin for 5months. i dont know what to do? i have all ready lost 2 to the picking. please some one help. i have a total of 55 chickens all together.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:What size run & coop do you have?

9. larlar23

larlar23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i have a coop that is 8x8x8 and a run that is 12x12x12

10. la polla

la polla New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Quote:Not in the same run, but a different one right next to each other. They have been seeing each other for all the time I have had them. I had to separate them last night cause I could not stand to see them keep getting pecked. The older ones ar not pecking them to a point of drwaing blood, but the younger ones make so much noise I feel bad. :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by