Agressive Hen:Should I Seperate Her Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thailand, Jul 30, 2013.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope I'm in the correct area for my problem?

I was recently given a hen and her 4 x day old chicks. The chicks are now a month old. The mother hen is extremely aggressive, so much so that I have to wear welders leather gloves to handle her and to replace food and water. A couple of times she has pecked me good.

I am wondering if this serious aggressive behavior is normal or not? And, if I should consider seperating the chicks, as I don't want them to grow up to be aggressive.

They are Thai native chickens if that helps. Am I correct in assuming they are a type of game chicken?
  2. She's being a good mom... Protecting her chicks from the evil human.. She is a native bird, as you said.
    The chicks are likely going to be wild like the mom, for tamer ones I suggest the next ones you hand raise or brooder raise.. Hand raising would be best since it'd promote any future broods to seek you out as 'big mama hen' vs 'predator'.
  3. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for your reply. So, do you think it's now too late to hand raise these four week old chicks? I'm hoping it may not be too late. They are fairly friendly with me. When I open the door they come running into my hands...

They are not very feathered yet, but I could keep them in the house in a brooder. The hen would need to stay isolated from my other chickens for another two weeks. She was previously living in a slum here, so I've wanted to be very careful about biosecurity.

If I followed this plan, would it be too stressful for the hen to be by herself for two weeks? And then, to merge with my existing chickens as the sole newbie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by