Agressive Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JKernion, Oct 3, 2016.

1. JKernion

JKernion New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    I have a rhode island red who suddenly started attacking, to the point of blood on the head, one of my other hens. I separated them all day, and have opened up my whole yard for more space, but the victim is terrified to go anywhere near the other now. How do I tell if the attacked hen is diseased and that's why the one is singling it out? or if the rhode island red is going to start picking off my flock one by one?

Anyone else ever had this happen? And, if so, what did you do?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Production Reds (aka "Rhode Island Reds") are notorious for being extremely picky and aggressive. They will pick on any bird they can, big or small. To start, segregate her from the flock for 1-2 weeks somewhere they cannot see or hear each other, then reintroduce her. This should prevent the behavior, but if it does not, I'd recommend purchasing and applying pinless peepers. And if that doesn't work, you should cull or rehome the hen.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I had RIR hens and they were just like that with my other hens...I sold them all...Best thing I ever did...I will never own a red hen again...

Cheers!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Me too! I don't have production reds of any sort, and life is much better in my mixed flock. I have heard that the show type RIRs are nicer, but never tried them. Mary

5. QueenMisha

They really are. I recently got a few that originated from Dick Horstman's stock. They ain't no show winners but they are as distinct from Production Red as night and day. I get a lot of people asking what they are, because they don't even look like what people think of as an RIR these days. And their personalities are absolutely lovely!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How do they produce? I had a less than stellar experience with SQ stock of other breeds; I didn't expect super production, but was very disappointed anyway. Mary

7. QueenMisha

I only got them about a month ago, and they were in molt then. I'll let you know once they're back into lay.

Not RIRs, but I have Silver Penciled Rocks from the same breeder. I've been satisfied with their production. Not impressed, but satisfied. They probably give me 120-150 eggs a year, each.

8. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    Ok now this makes me wonder, Im sort of in the same boat. I have 2 PR that are 7 months, they where suppose to be Buff Orps [​IMG]

Some positive things to say about my PR: They are good with my small kids they can pick them up whenever, dependable layers, predator wary they where the only ones to survive 2 dog attacks. Now things I dislike: very loud, follow you every where to the point it drives you crazy, but the biggest thing they are down right mean to my 9 new flock members.

I have 9 chicks of different breeds, ages 7 to 9 weeks. I have them in a corner of the run fenced off where they can see the PR but that's it, also roost separately. Amber the lead hen is down right nasty to the babies. She will stand there and loudly bock and them for long periods. If i open up the blockade and let them mingle she goes right after the babies pulling out fathers when she pecks. Its more than just "your in my way" she seeks them out, Now April the other one is much nicer she even looks more like a RIR than her counterpart. She use to just ignore the babies but lately she has taken up pecking them too. When they all free range they do better but I cant let them free range all the time.

So the question is should I take my PRs to auction?

I actually suggested rehoming them to my husband when we first got the chicks. Then it was so we wouldt have to worry about fencing the babies off from the adults and building a temp coop. Now its because I worry that they will constantly harass the others making their lives miserable.

Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

Sell 'em! You can get decent money for hens in lay and PRs are always more trouble than they're worth. PRs... they're, well, neurotic. People (myself included) like to use the word aggressive, but really, that's not right. I raise gamefowl (cockfighting breeds) and those are aggressive - they'll beat the snot out of a bird who gets on their wrong side. No, PRs are just crazy. They'll sit and pick, pick, pick another bird while being as apathetic as you can get. You can buy yourself some Red Sex Links and they'll have just as friendly of temperaments (toward humans AND chickens) and be even better layers to boot. I've only got one Production Red in my flock these days and that's only 'cause I spent 40 minutes crawling under a house, avoiding cat skeletons, and dirtying one of my favorite shirts to rescue the stupid bird. After all that trouble I wasn't gonna let anybody else take my hard earned chicken. :lol: In my flock there's plenty of much bigger and much meaner birds to keep her in her place.

10. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    Thanks for the advice. I can see what you mean about the neurotic thing. Amber is very much that, she isn't a big hen either April is much larger. I talked to my husband he dosent care either way. I even talked to my 4 year old daughter about it. She told me Amber and April can live in her room. I told her they would poop everywhere. Her response was "dont worry Mom I will put dippers on them" LOL! Thinking I will take them to the auction house. It will stink not having eggs but after a few months I will have 9 hens a laying :)

BTW I do have RSL! My young flock of 9 include: 2RSL, 1BSL, 2 BR, and 4 EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by