1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Agressive rooster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coreenelane, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Coreenelane

Coreenelane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    I have 2 Sultun roosters and one has gotten very aggressive in the last 2 months. I have even had to be brutal to protect myself from him coming after my legs. Out of 8 roos this is the only one that acts this way. He needs to go but I don't want to just kill him if any one wants him. He might be better off someplace else with less roosters or will he always be like this?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've read that roos can be "rehabilitated", in combination with the hope that their hormones calm down. Personally, a more proactive approach has worked, but i would not try to go through rehabilitation with a nutcase roo. It may not be wise to give him away, knowing his current disposition.

CT

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    He needs to go, but not to another flock, at least not without full disclosure. He's a dangerous idiot, and shouldn't reproduce either. Mary

4. Coreenelane

Feb 22, 2016
    I have a hunting cabin in Guernsey County, Ohio and had my son take him for a ride. I couldn't put him down, maybe he was just doing his job of protecting his ladies but after drawing blood through jeans and knee socks (twice) it was time to move him. I couldn't take a chance with grand kids around! Sure hope the best for him, lots of trees for him to hide in.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    So instead of offering him a quick and humane death, you choose to ditch him in the middle of a predator filled wilderness to fend for himself? How is being pulled apart and eaten alive by a predator better?! I'm guessing that you've never actually seen what a raccoon will do to a chicken, so you thought you were doing him a favor. But you didn't.

6. Coreenelane

Feb 22, 2016
    Yes I have seen what a racoon can do to caged up chickens, it happened to me in the 70's . A coon got in the chicken area and slaughtered 9 hens,and only tearing out the insides to eat. Did manage to get my father to shoot it. Don't judge too hastely, I am the one that has to live with my decisions. I could not knowingly give a bad rooster to anyone. In fact I did not want to even get rid of him. He at least has a fighting chance at the cabin with smaller trees, water and an open shed. As for the other wild animals that will kill and eat chickens, we have them here where I live.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He does not stand a fighting chance. Chickens have terrible night vision, they are pretty darn helpless during the nighttime hours. Without a secure shelter, it's just a matter of time before something eats him. Dumping a domesticated animal is just plain irresponsible.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by