Agressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenrookie16, Aug 23, 2010.

1. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    is there any ways, tricks, to make them not agressive to you?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Dont let him feed or breed when you are around, you go to him and stomp your feet and make him move away from you. If you are intimidating him, then he isn't head rooster anymore, you are. I always make my roo run from me about once a day when I am not working. He had never been aggressive to me, but I am trying to make sure he never is (I read these tricks on BYC, so far it's working). You have to be the boss, not him.

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Don't let him be. When he comes toward you, walk at him until he turns away. If he doesn't back down or tries to actually attack, a quick (but gentle) boot away should stop him. Let him see you handling the hens. Don't let him come at you when you do. Don't let him mount a hen when you are there. You need to convince him you are the alpha rooster.

All that said, there are some that just won't give up. If you have a really mean one that you can't trust or that won't learn, he needs find a new home, either in another flock or in freezer camp. We have friends who had a rooster that just would not stop attacking their daughter. For some reason, he got it into his little rooster head that she was some sort of threat, even tho she never really did anything to deserve it. But he would not learn, no matter what they did. He isn't in their flock anymore.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by