agressive rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by djmblooms, Nov 10, 2011.

1. djmblooms

djmblooms New Egg

May 15, 2011
    My chickens are just turning 5 months old. Our rooster who was supposed to be a hen has suddenly become aggresive. My very gentle dog is now afraid to go out in the backyard so I decided I would go out with her. Now the rooster is attacking me and I am getting afraid to go out there. I love the rooster. Any suggestions besides getting rid of him? Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Usually when this happens we take the rooster to freezer camp (butcher him). You and your family come first, If he is attacking you he needs to go. And [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You need to train him to avoid you. There are many methods out there and you might want to review those threads for all your options.

I tend to surprise roos with sound and motion when they least expect it and also crowd their space until they move away, touch them until they move away. If they move away, I let up. If they run when I surprise them, it is the desired response. I continue these methods until I get the desired response....it has only taken around 20 min. for me to do this in the past, with the occasional refresher training as a preventative. I've never had a recurrence of challenging behavior from a roo with these methods.

5. djmblooms

djmblooms New Egg

May 15, 2011
    So, you think he won't change his ways?

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nope...he's just being a rooster. That is just what they do.... until you show them not to do it to YOU. Don't worry, you didn't get a defective roo...that is how they are supposed to act, more or less.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Catch him and cover his toes and spurs with some layers of duct tape. You have to even out the playing field!

Out of 10+ roos, I only had one that didn't respond to training, and he was a little D'uccle. The rest either grew up believing I was alpha roo, or learned it easily. I just stalked them when ever I saw them. Making them move off their spot all around the yard a few times, every time you go out teaches them in their own language that you are alpha. If it doesn't work after 2 weeks of that, chicken ala king does.

8. Bloomin' Chickens

Bloomin' Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    My rooster started to get aggressive around his 1st birthday. He's huge and I would imagine he could inflict some serious damage. When he first went after me it surprised me, but the next time I was ready. I got mad and got aggressive back to him. I didn't hurt him, but he got pushed (kicked) right out the house door. I shut the door behind him. He was flustered and got madder, but after about 2 weeks he stopped stalking me. Every once in awhile I'll catch him out of the corner of my eye creeping up behind me, but I immediately turn around and aggressively walk toward him and say back up. Now I wish I could say things are better for my brother in law who lets him out when he goes to work in the a.m. Maybe its his green uniform, I don't know, but he said he's not going back in the coop or he'll kill that ????? rooster if he goes after me again. Darn it, that means the chickens don't get out early enough. Maybe he'll calm down (the rooster and my brother in law) in the summer time the chickens will be outside more they won't feel so defensive in the cramped coop.

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the forum,

I have a beautiful resident rooster, who was supposed to be a female. He belongs to a friend of mine. It could be that this rooster killed a little pullet, unintentionally by trying to breed her. At anyrate the pullet is dead, and to protect the other chickens they sent him away. To protect my chickens, I don't let him out of his little Eglu classic when hens are out. On the occasion I did let him out, he was hard to get back in, and I needed to chase him down with a net. Once caught he was very sweet and I carried him back and penned him up. He is just about 5 months old.

He is beautiful, he sounds so great when he crows, but if he were to attack any of us or the dogs, I think I wouldn't hesitate to dispatch him. (so I prevent him from being able to attack)

I think re-homing, selling or cooking are the best options for you and your dog.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a huge Buff Brahma rooster Penrod who, at six months, decided I was a threat that needed to be controlled. Penrod, unlike most roos, didn't try to chase and flog me or spur me. He would bite me. I mean really BITE, as in removing chunks of flesh, leaving deep holes in my hand, arms or legs.

It was a huge problem. I was so desperate at one point I volunteered him for Christmas dinner at the local Christmas party. Meanwhile, I had contacted this guy:
    http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html who studies chicken behavior. He worked with me for the next six months rehabilitating Penrod.

I understood finally that Penrod was biting me because he didn't trust me and was actually scared of me. There are many ways to get a roo to trust you, but it requires patience. I discovered one of the things that was making Penrod feel threatened was sudden movements when I got near him. He would react with a vicious bite.

Over time, Penrod came to trust me without reservation. I learned he was a very high strung roo who takes his job very seriously. He takes every threat personally. But now, instead of fearing me, he's in love with me. When I bring him food, he's very careful to offer the first bit to me before he eats. When he becomes upset over a possible threat, he lets me hug him until he quiets down and isn't afraid anymore.

Yes, roosters can change. It's up to you, though. He won't do it on his own. Most people find it easier to butcher a troubled roo or to just kick him around rather than discover what his personal issues are.

I have another roo, Darrel, who had the opposite problem of Penrod. He was so frightened of me he would go into total meltdown if I tried to so much as touch him. He, too, has completely changed with individual attention.

The underlying issue with all problem roosters is fear and lack of trust. If you can figure out what kind of rooster you have, you can work to gain his trust. With time, he'll come around. Yours is at the perfect age to rehab. Spend the time with him now and you'll have a great roo for life. Go visit Oly's web site and you'll begin to learn why roosters do what they do. If you e-mail him, I bet he would give you some special help with your roo like he did with my boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by