Agressive Rooster :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmgirl277, Aug 11, 2013.

1. farmgirl277

farmgirl277 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    So the barn that I horseback ride at has an attack rooster, he even attacks his owner now. She wont get rid of himand I was just wondering if anyone had some tameing tips. Also if you know how to remove spurs please share. Currently she is carring him around to show who's "boss"

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Just my opinion but if I had a to trim a roosters spurs because he attacks me, I'd introduce him to Mr. Crockpot. But to each his own as they say. Other than booting the rooster in the rear when he attacks to show him that he isn't cock of the walk even if he thinks he is, I can't think of a way to alter his behavior. There may, however, be ways to tame them. Good luck!

3. McIntosh2019

McIntosh2019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    The only way to do this is to publicly embaress the rooster. Put him in a crate that is super small, and he will be unhappy. Keep him in for about 2 to 3 weeks. DO NOT LET HIM OUT!!!!!! After that, he will be very insecure about everything and less likely to be aggressive.

As for triming the spurs, you could file them. Spurs are hollow, and it won't hurt him. You could do it quicker (you don't want to be pecked, and the quickest way is the best. This is what I would do), get tree clippers and clip them off. It will be quick and painless.

Hope I've helped and good luck!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. farmgirl277

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the advice! And i would love to introduce him to Mr. Crockpot!! Haha. But this lady took care of a crippled chicken for 4 years and i don't think she will be changing her views anytime soon. (Even though I call him dinner [​IMG]) and I don't think she'll lock him up :( But we will Defientally cut his spurs!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We trim back our roosters spurs and then file them round and smooth. The spurs are hollow at the ends but they do have a quick. But trust me, even then it will hurt like the devil if he jumps up and spurs you.

You can work on this bird but honestly, unless you are there all the time and everyone else who is there does the same, I don't see the situation improving. I hope there are not small kids who go there, that is a nasty attack waiting to happen.

6. farmgirl277

Aug 11, 2013
    Luckelly there are no little kids and most of the time he is locked in his pen, but she feels bad for him so she usually lets him out wile i'm working so that I can remember to put him away here is a picture for you're enjoyment :)[​IMG]

7. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, its HER rooster, hes aggressive to you while you are working? Do you board there?
    She does realize if he injures you, she is liable right?

8. farmgirl277

Aug 11, 2013
    Yea, she knows. I do board there and luckilly he as only ever injured me and her. The other borders are terrified of him and she still refuses to get rid of him... He is afarid of my dad though (the only male who visits the farm) which I think is intresting.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Since it's not your bird, there's not much you can do about it, except maybe board your horse somewhere else if possible. Otherwise, about the only thing you can do is keep an eye on him and fight back if he comes at you. If he does injure you, have your parents take you to the Dr. and have them bill her for your care!

10. farmgirl277

Aug 11, 2013
    I can't board anywhere else sense she's a friend and I get a discount on board. I'm hopeing she'll let me cut his spurs.. Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by