1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

agressive rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pearlonix, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pearlonix

pearlonix New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Hello new on this adventure I need all the help I can get!!! I have a rooster very aggressive should I separate him from the chickens?[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

People aggressive or hen aggressive ?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Can you further define what you mean by aggressive. If it is the rooster in your avatar, he is a gamecock, and they will almost always be extremely aggressive towards other roosters.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. pearlonix

pearlonix New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    oh..no... is a small 20 weeks rooster the one in the picture from my last trip to the Caribbean.

6. pearlonix

pearlonix New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Definitely rooster aggressive....picture taken my last trip the the Caribbean....took down no offensive

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

8. pearlonix

pearlonix New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    thanks

9. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Welcome to the site.

If he is agressive to other roosters: Some breed is more game than others. However, in a yard, normally 1 rooster will be dominant to a role of leader. Once they recognize he is the leader, they will fear him and the yard will be peaceful again. Just watch out so he won't hurt others too bad. If he continues to beat up his fellow, then separate him.

If he is agressive to hens .. this is normal for young rooster to start gaining his maturity. They will soon become a flock for him. Just watch out to make sure he won't beat up the hens and other males.

If he is agressive to people.... some of them gets mean during the moulting. Don't touch them as this hurts them and they get meaner. Also, don't catch their hens in front of them as they will try to protect their hens. Once the moulting is over, they will either become normal, or they will be permanently mean ... in the second case, pen him or eat him.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by