Agressive!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wolftalk, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    so i have 3 chicks. they are all 1 day apart. the oldest one is 4 days old. and the middle chick (the second born) keeps pecking the baby's (born yesterday) beak. so i let it go on for 15 minutes to see if they'd work it out, but noooooooo. so finally i had enough! the poor little baby was a bloody mess! and i have been trying to keep them separe.... BUT heres the catch: if i separate them the mean chick peeps and peeps and peeps! I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! if put them down in thier brooder and she will RUN ACROSS THE WHOLE PLASTIC CONTAINER TO PECK ON SOMEONE!!!!! (and make them bleed!!!) its like she (im calling it a she) has some increadible blood lust! i dont really want to get rid of her, but i dont want her to hurt the chicks that wont even peck her back! i am so upset with her!!! im getting ready to make that little wich into soup!!!! shes not even the oldest....and please dont tell me "oh they are just working out the pecking order they will be fine soon..blah blah blah" becuase she is MEAN!!!!! and im also ready to tape her beak shut. she wont be quiet!!!! some1 have ideas about how to fix this problem? ive tried EVERYTHING ... putting her in my closet and turning out the lights... NOTHING IS WORKING!!!! my sister loves her and wont let me get rid of her. but she is sooooooo agressive!! shes only a day old! PLEASE HELP ME! im starting school soon and i cant be pulling her off everybody all the time!!! (i literly had to PULL her off the oldest chicks foot becuase she was holding on so tight. he stood on one leg for an hour after that!) she is ok with people... and if i had every moment availible to her and no other chickens then she might be better but i dont have time to play her games!!! would it be best to just giver her to someone who would have time (and no ther chickens) for her? advice needed!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I don't have an anwer for you as I am a newbie, but I do hope you can resolve this without having to get rid of her. I will be interested to see what you are advised to do..

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Try putting a small stuffed animal or fluffy wash cloth in the brooder. That has helped me.

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An easy fix would be to have a little divider in the brooder like a little screen so they can see each other and still be together. Just put them back together often when you are supervising them. I'm sure the bully will eventually calm down. I found with my chicks there would be a new bully every few days. They really do have to work it out although you have to keep everyone safe . If you separate them, you are creating more problems.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Are you using a red light bulb? That's been proven to help a bit with pecking and aggression.

6. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    thank you guys for the suggestions! i appreciate it! she is just going to have to get along with everyone. i do have a stuffed bunny and a feather duster in there for them and it does seem like it helped. and no, im not using a red light becuase these guys just king of popped up in my life and i didnt have much time to prepare for them. but i am curious how that works. explain?

7. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I too am new to this chick thing, but I read somewhere that the red bulb discourages pecking because it gives everything a red glow so nothing stands out visually. I used a red heat lamp for my 13 girls but still wound up with one who's tush was pecked and bloody. I separated her and ignored her cries (which did stop after a while) until she healed about a week later. I didn't have any issues re-introducing her to the flock and now they are 6 weeks old and outside in their big girl coop!

8. countrycluckerskaren

countrycluckerskaren Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    try placing a mirror in with the single chick. That will make them think they have a littermate.

9. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    It disguises the blood, acting as a prevention against pecking and has a kind of soothing effect on the chicks. I've done both and the chicks under the red light never had any aggression issues, whereas with the other set I had a few bullies after I removed the red light once it got too warm for them.

10. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    i will so try that!!!! thank you so much for the advice!!!!! i hope this works!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by