Agressiveness in Geese??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by StevenW., Nov 19, 2010.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Are all geese agressive or is it individual?

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    It seems to be very individual. Holderread states:

"Choose the breed you're most attracted to. After raising all breeds over the course of 47 years, we've found that in most cases personality and temperament depend more on the individual bird and its environment than on the breed. To reduce the likelihood of aggressive behavior at maturity, we've found it helpful to work calmly around geese of all ages, to never tease them, and to not feed them from the hand."

My own current "meat hybrid", Keld, is totally non-aggressive, never attacked anyone or anything, but the 6 geese I've had before him varied a lot - from climbing on my lap, to chasing especially cars, dogs and children but really anything within a 50' radius.

Come to think of it, Keld actually once attacked a neon green, shiny shoe. But that was months ago, and he never attacked anything else.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Still, I really do think certain breeds are more naturally inclined to be nice and quiet. Personality is to be carefully considered when keeping back Pilgrim breeders as an actual breed trait. Dewlap Toulouse are definitely quieter and calmer than the production strains. Sebastopols are going to be more laid back than Embdens, and Dewlap Africans are more relaxed than production Africans (although Africans tend to be more mellow in general).

A lot of it has to do with how the goose is raised. But I consider a breed with a good personality to be one that, overall, will be more quiet without being handled. I purchased a breeder flock of Pilgrims to add to my own, and although they are standoffish and during the breeding season get extremely hissy, I have never been attacked by any of them, nor are they very loud. And these are birds that went without being treated as pets for three, four, or five years. I can still take any off of the nest in the spring and collect eggs. None of the ganders have to be watched to make sure you aren't beaten to death from behind.

Being able to steal eggs and turn your back on unhandled geese during the breeding season is a good indicator as to whether it's a calm breed. I have a flock of 25 birds right now - half raised, half picked up from all over the place. 90% of the ones I picked up had no handling prior to me getting them and they are still calm and quiet.

4. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    I have Chinese, African, Toulouse, and Canadian and have raised them for years and they have never attacked me or kids, or dogs, or my grandbabies, but I have loved and took alot of time up with them. I carry a ziplock bag of corn in my pocket and when I let them out to graze and gather eggs, they will follow me and they lay in the sun on the grass with me, they follow me around the property while I ride my 4-wheeler. I just love mine, they even climb the door steps up to the porch to come in the house, LOL.

5. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I have two Embden geese and a Chinese gander. The ladies are a year older, and have been sweet as rain the entire time. My little man however, is awful. He used to be great, cuddly and everything. As he matured he just turned mean. A lot of times I can avoid the attack, because I understand his body language; but anyone else doesn't stand a chance. I'm about ready to put him down, but I really hate the thought of doing that. I know that it's not my fault that he's mean, I'm always calm and loving around them. He's six months old now, is there a chance that he will grow out of it?

Does anyone have some tips to turn a mean goose kind?

6. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by