Agricultural / Small Business Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by yanks26, Apr 14, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I love the idea of raising chickens but I do not have enough land according to my town ordinances.

I also thought about making soap and selling it.

Besides that, what are some other cool hobbies that can be turned into small businesses? Possibly even big ones later on.

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    You could hatch and sell day-olds, if you had a supply of eggs. I dont know hoe that would fit into your ordinance. You could raise seedlings, or cut flowers, or veggies.

Those are ideas off the top of my head, I am sure there are a lot more out ther floating around... people??? Hello!!! People??

Now they will come flocking with their creative ideas! [​IMG]

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Haha I like your enthusiasm! Yes, raising day-old chicks is great but I have one dilemma: my supplier of fertile eggs doesnt know what type of eggs shes selling. Apparently, they are a mix of 7 different breeds all from within 1 pen. They are $2/dozen. I am willing to pay up to $5 for a dozen of one single breed but I have yet to find that.

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I have the same trouble here. No one wants to keep them pure.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    a small greenhouse should be a pretty good way to make a nice little business

6. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:A small greenhouse with what inside?

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:A small greenhouse with what inside?

Perennials and vegetables that are suited for the zone you live in. You can even have a selection of annuals. With a greenhouse you can start from seeds, which are cheap. One thing to remember, is to ask your customers to return the plastic seedling containers if they arent going to use them. One they are washed, they are reusable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by