Agricultural Zoning within a village

Suzanne1473

Hatching
Mar 12, 2018
My house is zoned agricultural but technically I live within a village that has ordinances against keeping hens. Previously I tried to keep hens when I lived in a residential zoned home in this same village and it caused a lot of drama. Now, 5 years after the first incident, I own a home in the village with a barn and I just found out it's zoned ag. Does this mean I'm allowed to keep hens? Does the Right to Farm Bill mean anything for my agricultural zoned home?

First, Welcome to BYC. If your zoned ag, shouldn't be an issue with the chickens. However, before you spend any money, a call to your local zoning officer would never hurt. The ag tag may only be a grandfathered tag and not apply to new residents. Make the call and get the answer in writing. Also, if you have an association, that's another can of worms. Good luck.

Generally Ag zoned land would give the heads up for chickens, and roosters. You can also mention that you'd like to raise horses (people are more willing to sympathize with horse property for some reason) to get your way. Give zoning a call if you're worried.

Back
Top Bottom