Agriculture, the culture of the field

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulaJoAnne, May 29, 2010.

1. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    A civilization that is losing its seeds and draining its soil, is a dying civilization.
    More then 40% of the worlds soils have been drained of fertility, and require chemical application, in order to sustain plant life.
    Today, more then 80% of todays dirt is planted with less then a dozen plant species, and most of these, are owned by 3-4 trans-national corporations.

98% of vegetable matter has disapeared from our world, over the last 100 years.

Video may be viewed here.
    http://steveandpaularunyan.blogspot.com/2010/05/agriculture-culture-of-field.html

2. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    From 1945 to about 1980, the nutritional value in our foods has dropped by 50%!

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] this is sad

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Listen to the video. I only wrote up the very basics.
    Sir Julian Rose is amazing!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It is very sad..a a bit scary too.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    As gardeners who use only organic seed, I will tell you this is something that should concern all of us, not just gardeners. We farm full time for a living and truly see that our world as "civilized" as it may be, it truly loosing ground in terms of good solid nutrition. Not only that but we are depleting the soil we farm on (most large farmers) and trying to replace the nutritional depletion with chemical fertilizer.

Long gone are the "old ways of rotation" planting. Look at the nutritional values of spinach 20 years ago in America and now and look at how the nutritional value has dropped. The soil has gone depleted. Local produce grown in a chemical free setting is the only real nutrition there is.

As a farm, we hope that the return of the "victory gardens" in US will reunite people with growing, buying and selling locally. It makes sense nutritionally and better for the local economy as well and saves the gas usage!

Just my 2 cents,,,,,or maybe with inflation since that saying began, my $2![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: