Agrressive BO

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoveThemBirds, Mar 29, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I have two Buff Orpingtons (Golden variety).Both BO's are very dominate,but too dominate.Her's the thing:When I throw feed out to watch eveyone,their bullying the others hen.Pushing them around,showing them up ETC.I thought they were "Docile" breed?I'd hate to give them away.I have came real close with them.Any suggestions on why they are being this way?

My other BO and a Newhampshire hen of mine will stick together,and begin growling,showing dominance.They just stick together to fight.This BO in particular won't fight,but will puff up.It's still nerve wrecking,because Penelope is tough,and can seriously damage her.This BO will also fight our rooster.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I assume these are hatchery birds? Hatcheries concentrate solely on production, not temperment nor type. While some may be sweet there are definitely exceptions.

3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    They are tractor supply chicks.

4. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Your Bufforpington is probably on the top of the pecking order and is just trying to show dominance to the others. But like you said she is being a bully. But you can help stop her from being this way by stopping her from pecking, fighting, attacking the other chickens. It will help your chicken know that it's bad to be bossy to your other chickens. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Buff Orpington. My Buff Orpingtons have always been calm and gentle birds (I've never had an aggressive bird), but your case just goes to prove that old axiom that there is always an exception to every rule. Be sure your birds are not overcrowded. The minimum recommended floor area for the coop is 4 square ft. per bird, and 10 sq. ft. per bird for the run. More is better as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fighting, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism with any breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by