AH HA! Boiled eggs just got easier to peel!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tcal, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    DON'T refrigerate the eggs you intend to boil. Room temp for 5-6 days and they peel SO easy!!! [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep, been doing it that way for a long time. [​IMG]

3. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    Oh no... I have to think that far ahead! [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oooooooh, I have to try that. Ive had some eggs sitting on the counter since last weekend. Ill try that tonight.

5. pacountrygirl

pacountrygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    How long can you leave them warm before they go bad? I thought you had to refridgerate them right away. Thanks

6. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    The refrigerate or not seems to be one of those great debates. They will last alot longer refrigerated but ,no, they do not have to be. I know they last more than a week un-refrigerated but not sure exactly how long. Anybody?

I do know this, they peel as easy as any store bought egg when boiled! [​IMG]

7. pacountrygirl

pacountrygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'll be trying this! I always waited until the eggs were about 2 weeks old to make pickled eggs. [​IMG] Thanks for all the tips. [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    There's another post on here somewhere about a wonderful method that really does work. Boil the water first and then gently set the eggs in (I use a ladle). Boil chicken eggs for about 14-16 minutes and quail eggs 10-12. Drain the water and add cold water; drain and repeat with the cold water. Some use ice but I just use regular tap water. Once cooled, the shells come right off. It is helpful to let the eggs come to room temp before you put them in the pot because some will crack. This works on extremely fresh eggs too - I've taken them right from under the hen into the pot and can still peel them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by