1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ah ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siz8003, Aug 7, 2007.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I got one! my white black tailed japs are laying! now what do I do with the tiny little egg? she is not sitting on it can i give it to an older hen?

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    if your older hen is broody. if it is too little to eat you can save it by letting it dry out. i hear they are cute decorations.

3. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    well IDK if she is or not I put the egg in with her an she sat on it right away so maybe?[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, after they lay an egg they will sit around for awhile sometimes to enjoy their egg. But personally I don't bother trying to hatch pullet eggs. They are too small and if a chick did form, it might not be strong enough since the egg is so small.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Definition of pullet is? sorry to lazy to look it up..........

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

A pullet is a first time layer(young hen). Thier eggs are smaller at first..then get larger with time. Most people do not hatch them out due to size. It is also likely they will not be fertile.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would not try to hatch a first egg. It really isn't a quality egg.

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    My Old English Bantams lay tiny eggs, too. Here are some of the things I do with them since I get so many:

Let the hens collect till they go broody, let them raise the babies for me to sell to help meet expenses

Hatch them in the bator to raise to sell

Collect them and when I have a lot cook them and feed them to the birds

Collect them and cook them for ourselves so I have more regular sized eggs to sell

Sell them for half price (or less).

9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Do you have a jap roo? I'd like to see a picture.

10. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ya i do have one but i have no idea how to get the pics on here. how long can i have the egg in the nest till it is bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by