1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ah! Scovy girl flew the coup!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanduckmom, Jan 1, 2010.

1. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    So my husband clipped her wings...both of them...and she can still fly away. He thought if 1 was good, then 2 would be better.[​IMG] She was in our neighbors yard and they kindly returned her. :)What can we do to keep her from flying? We trimmed one of the wings a bit shorter than the other tonight and hope that she will stop.

I'm also giving her extra treats so she will be too heavy to fly that high [​IMG]

I'm proud of her for being so brave to actually fly but it terrifies me that she might end up in the other neighbors yard with the wolf dogs. Help me keep her safe.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    maybe clip the feathers shorter bit by bit until she is grounded enough she can't get away. The other thing is you could raise your fence with some barely visible thin chicken wire with NO TOP BAR. Just string it across and it will inhibit her from flying off. How long have you had her? Usually if they are used to their digs they don't fly off. There are the occasional habitual wanderers. If she is one of those, you may just have to keep her in a run or sell her to a home where she can fly if she wants to, some big place with an established flock, pond, the whole bit.

3. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    i think you are only supposed to clip one wing. that way she'll be off balance. if you clip both shell try harder and will have balance to still be able to fly. at least that's what some people do with guineas. =]

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm going to have to clip the wings of my white scovie girl. Ive already had one fly away. SHe used to come back every night but right now she is gone, flying around the neighbors pastures. I just hope she comes back in spring. If she does I'm not sure what i'll do. I can either keep her or let her keep her freedom

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I agree with LCwilson, you need only to clip one wing. Clipping them both equalizes the wings, thus you birds still flies. [​IMG]

6. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Quote:I know. I gave pretty clear instructions on what to do to my hubby but if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. She isn't much of an adventurer and was very happy to be home so we hope she doesn't do it again.

7. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    YUP one wing. It's kinda funny watching them try to fly while running sideways too.[​IMG]

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I don't know if it is possible in your case, but I have heard of some people using cheap deer fencing purchased at Lowes for covering the top of the pens.

I have the nylon netting over my duck pens, but it is for protection from owls.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by