1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ah the beloved raccoon...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bakerjw, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    We've been having quite a time with raccoons as of late. They had found out how to use the cat doors on my sister in laws trailer and were helping themselves to anything and everything that they could find. My chickens hadn't been bothered by them but it came time to thin them out a bit. I ended up trapping and permanently relocating 4 of them (3 feet under) and had one manage to tear the end of my trap loose. It is now referred to as the Houdini coon. The remaining coons have become very wary of flashlights (especially when strapped to a rifle). So I did the obvious. I picked up an ATN nigh vision scope.

So now Houdini coon roams our compound. Two nights ago I spotted him by my SIL's trailer eating birdseed on the ground. It had walked right past the trap loaded with strawberry jelly and M&Ms. When it heard me step on some gravel or a branch it took off running. Last night I went out with the rifle and night vision and swept treelines and other areas where they've been known to frequent. As I swept past one of my chicken runs I spotted 2 bright eyes looking back at me from the edge of my chicken coop. I managed off a shot before it turned and fled followed by a succession of other shots.

Going after cat food in my SILs trailers is one thing, but slinking around my coops trying to get at my chickens is a much more serious. Houdini coon will be going down.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just caught a coon the other day.TG my trap held.They are STRONG.Look forward to your update on getting this one.Lol,night vision...but hey if that is what it takes!
    What was the costs on those? I would get some for fun!

3. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    AMEN!!! Get 'em. Good luck with the trapping and "relocating"...LOL...

I'm in the middle of a rat and possum issue here. 5 rats, and 2 possum in the last week and half.

Good luck.

TNT

4. bakerjw

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I picked up an ATN Gen1+ from OpticsPlanet for $350.00 delivered. I had a spare picatinny rail laying around that I was able to mount on an old Marlin Model 60 that I've had for years. The NVS weighs almost as much as the rifle.

At night it is like looking through a regular scope with a green spotlight illuminating the target. It really isn't even fair. I suspect that I may have bumped the scope mount and need to sight it in once again. But I have a CMMG dedicated .22 long rifle upper on order so the scope will be going on a new rifle pretty soon.

5. bakerjw

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    This morning I discovered that canned mackerel is really great for luring in... opossums. This morning I went out to find a soaked really miserable opossum in the trap. It took a while to get him dumped out but he scampered away quite quickly into the underbrush.

6. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I use sardines in mustard sauce to trap the coons. I've caught 2 coons and a fox with them. Three less pests to get my chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by