Ah, the holidays....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 20, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What a wonderful time of year! The leaves are changing, the smell of numerous fattening things cooking in the oven, and the broodies sitting on eggs.......

WHAT?????

I have come to the conclusion that my birds are CRAZY!!! I have a silkie/game mixed hen that has been setting on eggs for about 10 days. No biggie, she sits all year long. But I also have a pekin duck that just 2 days ago decided to start brooding, and now today one of my son's silkies decided to start as well!! [​IMG]

Does anyone else have birds as crazy as mine are???

They have a total of about 35 chicken eggs, and 12-14 duck eggs [​IMG] The duck has a huge nest of about 2 dozen, half of them being chicken eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Mine tend to go broody in fall. *Sad shaking of head*

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I can understand the 2 hens. Gertie the mix never seems to stop, and the silkie, well, she is a silkie after all! [​IMG]

What really surprises me is the duck!! Pekins are not supposed to be broody, but this one certainly is! She gets off the nest quite a bit more than I'd like, but she gets right back on after 10 minutes or so.

Mine seem to be very early spring or late summer normally, except for Gertie the silkie/game mix. She hatched chicks last year on Dec. 4, then again in February, and again in May. Her last batch was in late September I believe, but she lost those to the stupid rats [​IMG] She isn't the greatest mama, but she is a really good incubator! [​IMG]

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Non-broody breeds have peculiar instincts! [​IMG] Crazy duck.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's what I was thinking....crazy duck!! [​IMG] I just hope she can care for them, I sure don't want a bunch of ducklings in the house!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by