Ah the horns of a Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Oct 28, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hatching from your own eggs is good. Really rewarding. I enjoy it. Problem. I hatched some mixed eggs from the unsegregated flock over this fall. And I have fallen squarely on the horns of a dilemma.

Of one of the last hatches, I'd guess they're about two or three weeks old were two chicks, that I KNEW by their coloring, had to be D Sizzle mixes. One appears to be Delaware and Splash Sizzle going an odd partridge blue at this point. His name is Toad. The other is Birchen Sizzle to Barred Rock, and appears to be heading toward a mix of both. He's got a birchen face mark, and is barring. Now they're culls. Well, they should be. Except that they are absolute hoots and the friendliest chicks in the brooder. Doesn't help that I'm momma because both needed help hatching after the dogs helped me drop some eggs and I had to wax them. I open the brooder they hop on my lap. Both have willowish legs, almost a suggestion of Muffing, and well, darn them, they're killing me. I'll get pics. This is not supposed to happen. Especially with Toad. He likes to sit on my shoulder as I type. Sigh.

Yo, Cher, they're culls, doesn't seem to be working on my ear drums.

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Well it's only 2. The problem is that when you hatch again there will be 2 more and then 2 more....[​IMG]

3. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Can you try and find them a new home??

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone who doesn't give a hoot about breed would LOVE to have some friendly pets I am betting. [​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Find them a great 'no cull' home where they would be the center of attention. As above, someone will LOVE to have them.

Why do they have to be culls?

Got any pics of the darlings that are winning your heart?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by