Ahh!first Guinea Chick Hatched One Day Early!!! Please Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oliviad51, Aug 25, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Our guinea eggs were supposed to hatch tomorrow. I checked this morning and there wasn't any peeps, cracks, etc..
    I was gone all day, so before I went to bed I figured I better check the incubator. There I saw a broken egg shell and a tiny guinea chick in the corner of the incubator. For the most part, it is dried off and fluffy. I cannot move the chick right now because I have chicks under a heat lamp but will hopefully be good to move tomorrow outside. SO...I have a few questions

1. Is it okay to leave the chick in the incubator over night?
    2. I did open the incubator (even though it was lockdown and I wasn't supposed too [​IMG] ) and put a tiny bit of water and chick food in there for the chick. Will this help answer my first question?
    3. IF the chick is okay to stay in the incubator, what should I set the temp to?

when I did open the incubator, the chick tried to get out but I hope its just because it was thirsty. It now has food and water like I said..

THANKS SO MUCH for ANYONE that can help me!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Okay, for future reference: Do not open the incubator during lockdown! [​IMG]

The chick will be fine in the incubator, I promise. It has about 3 days of energy left from absorbing the yolk - it doesn't need to eat or drink until all it's hatch-mates are hatched and dry too. I leave my chicks and ducklings (I've never hatched guineas, but I figure it's all pretty much the same) in the incubator for 2 to 3 days after they hatch with NO food or water. They need the extra time to learn to use their little legs and everything anyways, otherwise they sure do have a lot of trouble eating and drinking! I pretty much leave the temperature where it's at for incubating - sometimes I bump it down a degree or two if the little ones look too hot, but for the most part, just the evaporation that's occurring as they hatch and dry off lowers the temperature slightly.

Good luck with the rest of the hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    ok..thanks. I knew I wasn't supposed to open the incubator but it looked like the little guy was about to die in there..I guess he was fooling me [​IMG] .. as you can tell, Im new at hatching. I have tried a couple times before, but it didn't work, I think because the humidity. Thanks again. I am in the process of putting together a small brooder for the peeps.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    booder for guines bigger the better. they can fly at a early age, and they love to run around. my kids call them little zoomers. they are realy fast little boogers. 3 days in the bator not a problem. they will be fine.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah no need to feed or water them for 48-72 hours. they will be ok in bator! [​IMG]

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks. The other ones still haven't hatched yet. I hope I didn't kill them when I opened the incubator. The little booger is still running around in the incubator since the other ones haven't hatched. They were supposed to hatch today. Hopefully I will wake up to a few more chicks in the morning. I have had baby guineas before, and have a bunch of adult guineas, but I have never successfully hatched out guineas. This is so exciting for me :) thanks all for helping!

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh my goodness! I did not mean to post that three times! I am on BYC from my cell phone during the day since I'm usually busy and not home. I thought I didn't have service so I had to keep posting it until I got service...it looks like I was getting service! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by