Ahh haa! I think I have a broody hen. Question?

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
So I came in here and was worried about my BO/Ameracuana cross. She has been sitting in the nest for 3 days and has not laid an egg. She gets out to free range, but not for long. She is eating and drinking, but not for long.

I read on here that means she is broody. So do I need to find some fertilizes eggs for her to hatch, or will this pass? Where do you get fertilized eggs? And we are at our limit on chickens, dont really want any more.

She is broody so you can do one of two things. You can wait her out and try and break her. I put mine in a wire dog kennel during the day and it worked the first time around. There are plenty of suggestions on how to break a broody on the forum. You can search it. Secondly, you can do as I am trying to do now. I have 2 broodies who refuse to break so I am currently looking for someone with fertile eggs who will lend me some to hatch and then will take the chicks back. Other people have done it so I am hoping that someone in my area will do the same for me.

Broodies can be difficult and I usually take mine out of the nesting boxes during freerange time and actually lock all of them out of the coop and run so they get some excersize, poop, drink and eat. Your broody will lose weight sitting on the nest all day as she wont eat drink or poop until she comes out of the nest. I have one who is a nice, quiet broody who doesnt mind being handled. My other one growls, tries to peck me, fluffs up and bawks at everyone. It got so bad that her flockmates were beating her up and chasing her around. I ended up putting her in a cage next to the run just so she could heal up from being pecked on her comb and get a break from being chased and beaten up.

Good luck with your broody. They can take a few weeks to break.

Quote:
Thank you!

She comes out to eat, but I did pull her out for free range time, but probably 80% of the time she is on that nest.

I have a friend with fertile eggs, I may go borrow some and then give them back lol!

Back
Top Bottom