Ahh, I think pasty butt Help I'm so worried

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    My one light brahma (3 days old arrived yesterday) was wiggling then peeping really loudly. The first time I just figured she was playing, second time I took her out and checked her. Well there was some poop on her butt so I cleaned it with a warm cloth then I could see the vent but it was slightly inflamed and sorry don't know any other way to put this but throbbing. Then after about 5 hours she had poop on her again so I cleaned it again and the vent still seems to be throbbing. I mean it honestly looks like its breathing. Is that normal? what do I do? Should I keep cleaning it every couple of hours, she cries when I do it?
    Oh I did run to the store and bought plain yogurt put it in with some feed sprinkled on it all the other chicks seemed to love it but I'm not sure she even tried it (It was chaos around the yogurt once one decided she liked it)

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    The vents pulsate like that, it's okay. And you can put some olive oil around it to get the poop to slide off and stick less. Good luck, Suz

3. jdr250

Apr 24, 2008
    should I use a q-tip or just my finger I don't want to put too much on.
    Is it normal that she needs cleaned so frequently or am I just not cleaning it well enough?

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    You can use either.... you really can't use too much. Pasty butt seems to be a snowball problem.... once it gets started, it tends to keep happening for a while. Just keep an eye on it!! If the vent becomes totally blocked they can die. It is not because you are doing something wrong, so don't worrry.

5. jdr250

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks, I'm freaking out...lol she's such a sweet little thing I don't want to loose her. She keeps trying to break the "age barrier". The older chicks are all laying farther away from the lamp and she keeps sneaking over when they're sleeping climbing in between two of them. Then as soon as they realize she's there they all jump like she's going to beat them up....lol

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think if you put papertowel over the litter it will help keep them from eating the shavings. That may also help.

7. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Just keep up with it and be gentle. I had a few with this problem but by two weeks they stopped. They all pulsated when we cleaned them, so that's normal. I wouldn't worry as long as you keep a close eye on it.

8. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I took a suggestion from another site on pasty since I had one black Jersey Giant chick that had this problem. The advice was to clean the area and rub a small amount of mineral oil on the vent and the surrounding feathers (just a little). It never showed up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by