AHH! MILs Co-Worker Giving Advice!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KellyGwen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    My MIL works with someone who has had chickens for over 10 years (she says) and every time one of our chickens gets the sniffles she tells my MIL "she doesn't know why we have sick chickens, she's NEVER had a sick chicken and NEVER had one die - except when the dog killed a few..."

Is that possible??????????? Now my MIL thinks I stink as a chicken person...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe she just isn't as tuned into her chickens as you are and has never noticed it. [​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Opinions are like buttholes..everyone's got one...
    We're more in tune with our birds usually because we only have a few and we interact with them, not just pitch some scratch or food at em and go back in the house.

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

If she has had them for over ten years and never had one die except for the dog killing them, I would say the dog has killed more than a few...or she is less than truthful.

5. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Quote:That's what I said! Or that they died and she didn't notice. I check on my chickens at LEAST 10 times a day and spend a few hours (split throughout) sitting with them every day. (I am unemployed/disabled and they are my sanity saver).

It just irks me - I went to school for animal husbandry... I've been working with animals my WHOLE LIFE and my MIL just loves to tell me that I don't know what I'm doing.. which is fine when it comes to housework.... but don't tell me I don't know animals (unless you have more experience with them than I do... which she DOESN'T) Argh...

Sorry... I need to vent so I don't snap at her and cause a ruckus!

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think that says a lot more about her than you.

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Don't you just love unwanted advice and criticism? [​IMG]

I am sure that you are a great chickie mom! Try not to let some busy-body-think-she-knows-it-all lady bother you! Same goes for the MIL.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have never had sick chickens. Chickens do not get colds and sniffles. They get infections. To the best of my knowledge I have never seen one with any type of symptom like that. I had one that had a prolapse and I culled it. I hope this doesn't jinx me!

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Mother-in-Law's are supposed to make your life miserable. Relax, the world is as it should be.

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I think the coworker is enjoying a little selective memory. [​IMG] You know, like parents who say that their kids are soooo healthy, sorta editing out all those late nights up with the baby. (Raising my chickies is giving me flashbacks to when my babies had ear aches, colds, flu... ugh.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by