Ahh the wonders of feed store bins... (updated POL pullet pics)

tinychicky

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Hampshire, U.S.A
so last week, OUT OF THE BARRED ROCK AND BLACK SEX LINK BIN, i got this:

52086_dscn5950.jpg

52086_dscn5948.jpg

52086_dscn5940.jpg

her and a BR buddy
52086_dscn5939.jpg

she's a cutie all right, but what is she? she has a single comb, yellowish brown legs, some partridge-like patterning coming in on her wings... at first i thought partridge rock, but they're usually lighter in color as chicks. weird-combed EE maybe? i dunno.

Last edited:
she is smaller and lighter than a BR and her tail feathers aren't coming in as fast. she's two weeks old now, i think, and the feathers that are coming in are all brown with hardly any black. i've also notice that she likes to stand up kind of like a modern game; her posture isn't the same horizontal as the Rocks. her wings also aren't as big. i can post more recent pics if it would help.

It's kinda doubtful you'll know for sure, from the chick pictures. You'll just have to kind of wait and see what she grows into.
TSC or AgWay or any other store buys from the same hatcheries, so likely she is indeed one of the black mystery chicks that so many got earlier as well.
Hatcheries sell what they sell. When a chain store like AgWay or TSC orders boxes and boxes of chicks, there are mistakes and then there are just... well..... OK, they sell them the hatches, whatever they happen to be; odd crosses, mutts, mixes, etc. Hey, it happens all the time. No big deal.

Can't say what she/he is but I can say that I'm kind of partial to the barnyard mix variety of chicken. My favorite chicken in our flock is this.
57602_dscn2381.jpg

57602_dscn2656.jpg

No idea but she's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom