Ahh! They're eating their eggs! Is there any hope?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nsyod, Nov 28, 2012.

1. nsyod

nsyod New Egg

Jun 24, 2012
    Our 9 hens have recently started eating their own eggs. It's hard to tell how many they are eating since their production has slowed way down but there is evidence that they are getting their fair share. We think it has been happening for about 1 week. Is there a way to stop it?

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    you should just look it up because their is this one site that gives you ten steps to make it stop. Good Luck :D

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Put something hard in the nest box, like a golf ball. It will discourage them from pecking at eggs - it can't feel good to peck a golf ball.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I think those wooden fake eggs at the livestock store work better than golfalls if they don't work.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have them as well, but I think the golf ball is more dense, and thus would hurt more when they peck at it. I keep both in my boxes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Squirrels stole our fake eggs and the hens pushed the golf balls out of the nests. I get out early and take the eggs from under them. I only had one that would pitch a fit but I would swap it out with the fake egg.

7. nsyod

nsyod New Egg

Jun 24, 2012
    Update: we started checking for eggs multiple times each day and taking whatever was there. It seems as though that worked for us, for now anyway. They all seem to be laying in the boxes again without incident or evidence of broken eggs anywhere. I don't know if we fixed the problem or what but I am happy that we are gathering eggs again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by