AHHH!!! Coyote!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by revlistless, May 17, 2010.

1. revlistless

revlistless New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    I was awoken from my mid-morning nap last Thursday by the ducks making quite a commotion. Followed by all 10 of them trying to make their way through the glass patio door. I got off the couch just in time to see a coyote running off with at hen Rouen. After properly arming myself I took pursuit! Alas i did not find them. I went back to the ducks took count and found that Kid (Billy the Kid b/c she is awnry) was missing. I called my neighbor and as I was speaking with him from atop the hill comes Kid!!!! I don't know how she did it but she escaped! She had a wound one her right thigh. She is suffering from a little PTSD, but recovering well.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yah Kid Yah Kid!!! congrats get a gun!!! poor duckies!

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    So glad you had a partial happy ending - sorry about the hen though. We've got coyotes, but so far the fence and our collie have kept them at bay. We sure hear them howling all the time though (we have bunnies galore which they apparently make regular meals of).

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So happy that she got away. [​IMG] I hope she recover OK.

5. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Coyote deterrent:

[​IMG]

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Or food for a pack of coyotes. One on one I would bet on your dog, if a pack attacks it is toast.

7. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Coyotes, in my experience, are skittish and looking for a meal they don't have to fight too hard for. I bet big dog there would give the farmer enough time to grab the gun if they decided to get brave. LOL, my dad once scared a pack off just by screaming his head off and running in their direction with a shovel. They never came back. I do give exception to those crazy coyotes and dog/coyote hybrids that I have heard of in L.A. My husband has a few horror stories about those...Eek! We had a huge coyote population, and a few Rotties, they were never attacked and were out all hours.

I am glad to hear your duck made it! Hurray for Billy!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be alert. The coyote will return.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We have foxes but so far I have not seen a coyote. Though people swear they are around here.

That is some duckie to be able to come home by herself. What a wonderful girl![​IMG]

I do not have a LGD but I do have a pistol. The foxes come right up near me to try and grab a chicken. I wish I could afford to feed a LGD.[​IMG]

10. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:That 110 lb 11 month old Great Pyrenees female eats less than 40 lbs a month of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Of course, she is fed a lot of duck eggs that don't make the grade and table scraps, but they really are light eaters.

Two of my neighbors's chickens have been hit hard by foxes and coyotes lately. They can't even free range their birds to cut costs. Last duck I lost to a predator was at night back in November, and that duck was outside the protective electric fence and the protection of the LGD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by