AHHH...Day 18...eggs out of the turner...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lyz, May 11, 2009.

1. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    well today is day 18...I took all of the eggs out of the turners..candled them....we have 21 arcana cross with happy little chickies in them...and 32 bantam...EE cross...in the other bator...all with happy...kicking little chickies in it.... [​IMG]

[​IMG] SENDING OUT THE HATCHING MOJO FOR EVERYONE.... [​IMG]

2. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    How exciting! Good luck! My first hatch was Friday and I got 8 chicks out of 17 eggs set. I didn't candle them though, just let them be and be surprised at what number I would get. I think I would have gotten more but I had some hatching problems. I tried a dry hatch (humidity at 55%) but it was too dry and many chicks got stuck to the membranes and such. I found I was getting the best part of the hatch at 70% humidity but my bator is also one with a fan so I think it would be different for a still air.

3. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I don't monitor my humidity...my thoughts are that nature does not regulate it...so how could I possibly regulate it correctly...I do watch the airsac...and keep a small tin of water in the bator for humidity...and I keep my temp at the right range...I love to candle them...next time...you have to candle...it makes the hatch so exciting...good luck with your next hatch...

4. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks! I'm setting 18 eggs in the bator tomorrow. Maybe I will candle more this time. I actually did candle that last batch at 6 days and saw nearly all developing, but I didn't candle at all after that.

5. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    You have to candle around day 14...you can see the chick kicking and moving all around...My 8 year old daughter is helping with this hatch...she has learned alot...by day 18 all you see is a blob...but prior to that you can see everything...good luck with your hatch..

6. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks! I hope all of your live embryos hatch into live chicks! We had 3 quitters, pipped the egg (one even fully zipped) and then dead [​IMG] One of the quitters was "shrink wrapped" because of the low humidity. I had to help our 8th living chick out of the shell. With the humidity low she got stuck to part of the membrane after she pipped and couldn't turn in the shell.

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:what bator do u use

8. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    thats the hardest part...is to watch them get all that way...then die...i am one whom gives them their time once they have pipped and then when they stop being productive...and it has been a while...i will help them out of the egg...here is a pic of one from the last hatch that my daughter ended up helping out of the egg on easter sunday...we went to church and when we come home he had not progressed...so she chipped little peices off then laid him back in the bator and it wasnt 3 minutes and he was out of the egg...now he is spoiled....he sits and watches tv with her...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by