1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ahhh, I am steaming mad at my teenage son right now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I just have to vent... [​IMG]

Just got a call from one of the assistant principals at his high school. "Your son" was caught in an area of the school that he shouldn't have been in with a group of boys, it appeared they were smoking... "your son" is not being cooperative with administration... you need to come pick him up, he is suspended for the rest of the week (which means until after Jan. 1 since they get out on Friday.)

This means he will miss his EOCs, which means that he could fail his classes. All because he doesn't want to cooperate and "snitch" on his "friends" (I don't know what they want him to tell them)... they gave him another chance to cooperate with them after letting me speak to him, and me telling him that he had better cooperate with them RIGHT NOW! His reply to me... "I didn't do anything, Mom." Yeah right, and I fell off a turnip truck this morning. [​IMG]

He is currently grounded at home for 2 months, until the end of January, for I guess what he would consider "not doing anything" after we found cigarettes and an illegal substance on him... this within weeks of being grounded for a month for the VERY SAME THING in Oct. [​IMG]

What do we do with this kid, grounding him from everything except his bed and food is not hurting him enough to make him change his behavior! [​IMG]

HELP!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Hmmm.

Normally the willingness to not rat out someone else to save your hide is admirable. However if the said products were in your son's possession, a second time, that does change things. Is transferring him to another school an option? Since I've worked from home for years, i'd let him know that since his choice not to speak up resulted in him flunking his classes, he was now going to be attending highschool online, so he can get the credits to graduate on time. Once he's ade up his lost credits, we can discuss the manner of where he is to finish highschool.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How old is he Robin?

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I think this is why some animals eat their young. Remember the Cosby Show? Cliff took ol' Theo "away" one time...forgot what he did but i remember the "Away". My mother was impressed as well...I would start to think about doing something bad and she said "Away." Might not be a bad idea. Not sure where that is...visit a correctional facility, soup line volunteer, maybe a boot camp? Just giving thoughts...

Sorry about the troubles...Thanks for not blaming the school!!! We really appreciate parents that get mad at their kids! we try but the only thing we can do is ground them from their friends while at school! We need parents to really ground them! have you thought about going to school with him? Totally understand if it is not an option...but just think how cool that would be for him!

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I hear ya !!!!! I am going through it right now also !!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I would like my sweet little boy back !!!!!! I wish I could fast forward through these teenage years !!!!!!! No WONDER my mother cannot remember my name !!!! I am watching this thread and learning
    Deep Breath.......walk away......just like the terrible two's

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    He is 16, Debi. Will be 17 in February. His daddy is on his way from work to pick him up (our kitchen floor is being installed right now so I can't leave) and he is NOT a happy camper about this!

I do homeschool his younger two siblings, so bringing him home for the rest of the year (under house arrest) is not out of the question.

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

PM'd ya!

I got one of those too. Want mine? You could have a matched set. Please? [​IMG]

8. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I sometimes wish there was a (safe) little something you could sneak into cig's or other smokeable things that they wouldn't notice, but that would make them SICK AS DOGS. A little aversion therapy can be a good thing...

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Grounding a teenager will just make them more angry. You need to sit his butt down and talk to him like an adult!
    Tell him the reason's why you don't like him doing what he is doing, explain why the school doesn't like it etc...

DOn't try drop the hammer and FORBID this or that, it will only make it worse.
    Give him punishment sure - make him do community service at an old age home or do yard work for you or someone else...

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Robin'sBrood :

He is 16, Debi. Will be 17 in February. His daddy is on his way from work to pick him up (our kitchen floor is being installed right now so I can't leave) and he is NOT a happy camper about this!

I do homeschool his younger two siblings, so bringing him home for the rest of the year (under house arrest) is not out of the question.

IMHO, since you have the option, home schooling would be best since this is the second time. Don't let there be a third. With my son it was drinking. When I found the empty bottles under his bed, I lined them up on the counter and never said a word to him. He grounded himself for 5 weeks before he asked if he could watch the History channel.

Also, telling him how disappointed in him I was made him feel like poop. I also didn't talk to him for quite a few days. He would come to me and I would just turn around and walk away. He never did it again. I also removed the people he was drinking with from his life. Home schooling him was the only way to do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by